Winding Feather Fighter

Bruce, that looks like a home made scraper that you are using on your handle. Can you show a picture of it? Thanks.
Bob

I'm using sterling silver for the spacer accents on this one. I bought a 5" x 6" sheet of .40" thick from RioGrande for $68. I thought that was kinda high priced but I love this stuff now especially if I give the 1018 surrounding it a dark hue instead of silver. If I was using stainless for the ironwork it wouldnt show very well. Most people, me included use 416 for these spacers and liners but the sterling just has the classy look I'm going for on this one. Even if they tarnish somewhat they still have that look of old.

The pommel is 1018 and has a milled on oval shaped tab. Its oval shaped so the sterling spacer will index and also the pommel will index into the epoxy. Thats the next step actually. Its a take down so I will need to teflon tape the tang, grease up the guard and pommel and pour the handle full of epoxy re-assemble it and let it set up. The teflon tape allows the handle to pull back off again and the oval in the pommel will be inprinted forever. The teflon tape is just thick enough to allow the handle to slide back off and on without rattling around.

Thanks so much for all the kind words guys. Its so nice to have good friends.

100_7073_edited.jpg

100_7074_edited.jpg

100_7075_edited.jpg

100_7076_edited.jpg

100_7077_edited.jpg

100_7078_edited.jpg

100_7079_edited.jpg

100_7080_edited.jpg

100_7081_edited.jpg

100_7082_edited.jpg

100_7083_edited.jpg

100_7084_edited.jpg

Last edited:
I love that bit of carving on the handle. Along with the checkering, it's going to really make that handle pop. On the edge of my seat!

Roger

That's looking great Bruce. Thanks for the teflon tape trick -- I'll remember that for when I'm able pull off a take down.

Have you ever tried Argentium? It's a recent silver alloy with about the same silver content as sterling using germanium for the other ingredient. Supposed to be a bit whiter than sterling and virtually tarnish proof. A little more expensive though.

I love that bit of carving on the handle. Along with the checkering, it's going to really make that handle pop. On the edge of my seat!

Roger

This is the first handle I've done the carving and checker this way. This knife won "Best Fixed Blade" at Blade West a couple years ago. I have a friend here in town that does all my checkering and we plan to do this new bowie similar to this one. Smooth on the front and checkered on the back half.

100_0360.jpg

I'm sure enjoying watching this Bruce.
That picture you posted of the checkering is really intriging. The pin's are in the checkering without maring the pattern. 2thumbskewlpics1

This one is going to turn out awsome Bruce. I realy realy like the pattern. That handle is going to turn out great also. Thanks for sharing!

Mr. Bump, absolutely stunning steel! I love it, love it, love it! Excellent wip too. Nice clean grinds, beautiful shiny bits, and great wood... 'breath Frank breath'...

Today I lathe turned the finial nut and sawed a cross slot into it. It is drilled and threaded with a 10-24 thread pitch that matches the tang. I used a fine checkering file on the outside of the nut.

I also filled the handle with epoxy screwed it together and let it set up and removed the handle. The release agent, teflon tape and vasoline allowed it to come off very nicely.

I also had time to true up the handle and pommel so it is semetrical and flush with the wood. I did the shoe shine method with 320 grit. I actually want the wood about .010" proud of the guard and pommel but I needed to finish shaping and sanding everything first and now will remove that extra .010" from the guard and pommel.

I think I will use a Tru-oil finish on the wood. It will take some time but it the results are professional looking. After the wood finish it will be checkered.

100_7085_edited.jpg

100_7086_edited.jpg

100_7087_edited.jpg

100_7088_edited.jpg

100_7089_edited.jpg

100_7090_edited.jpg

100_7091_edited.jpg

100_7092_edited.jpg

100_7094_edited.jpg

100_7093_edited.jpg

Last edited:
Lookin' real good Bruce. Can't wait to see the grain pop on this piece when you get the tru-oil finish on it.

Roger

Hey Bruce,
If this knife thing doesn't pan out for you, I see a big future in the shoe shine business. Maybe even booths at several airports, and you could still keep your title, Bruce D. Bump, M.S. (master shiner-upper).

LOL, Great Work, as usual,
Steve

Hey Bruce,
If this knife thing doesn't pan out for you, I see a big future in the shoe shine business. Maybe even booths at several airports, and you could still keep your title, Bruce D. Bump, M.S. (master shiner-upper).

LOL, Great Work, as usual,
Steve

If they would allow me to grind knives at the airport between shoe shines I would be all over it. :D

Bruce,

Hey Buddy, GREAT WIP as usual !!! 2thumbs

Just wanted to thank you for taking the time to do these WIP's and attacking them with the same skill, style, and thorough-ness (is that even a word ?) that you put into your knives and cut-n-shoots.

As usual I'm not left with any questions at this point but won't hesitate to ask if I think of any :D

Take care- Josh

I've finally had the opportunity to catch up on this. WOW!!! Bruce you make this look entirely too easy. I spent alot of time bragging on the amazing threads you do for all of us this weekend. I don't know that I have ever said it before, but THANK YOU for all of the hard work that you do and share with us along your journey. It is truly inspiring to all of us new guys.

Bruce you make this look entirely too easy. I spent alot of time bragging on the amazing threads you do for all of us this weekend.

I agree! Your WIP threads are definitely an asset to this forum and the knifemaking community.

Murph and Josh,
Believe me, I enjoy doing these wips. I'm just glad you guys keep coming back. Actually the real reason I do them is so I can remember how each time. My memory is terrible.
Hey thanks for talking me up at the show! Next year Kaye and I are going with Dana and Sandy for sure.

Back