Winding Feather Fighter

Bruce Bump

Forum Owner-Moderator
I have had a couple feather pattern billets that have had some small cracks along the edge. These cracks are from the stresses created from shearing them into two parts, forgie welding them back together and drawing them out into a usable billet. They are small enough to be ground out but tend to be right in the wrong place. By grinding them out I discovered a new pattern. Simply grind half moons out from both sides alternately from the blank and press the blank straight again. The result is my "Winding Feather" I'm like a proud new Papa.

Here is some photos I took of some of this new bowie. I really wasnt going to do a full blown WIP but this pattern is worthy enough to show it here.

100_7002_edited.jpg

100_7004_edited.jpg

100_7008_edited.jpg

100_7010_edited.jpg

100_7011_edited.jpg

100_7013_edited.jpg

100_7015_edited.jpg

100_7017_edited.jpg

This blade is hand sanded to 2000 grit and ready to put my logo on and etch the blade to show the winding feather pattern. I can hardly wait to see it but I need a day off says the wifie. Have a safe Memorial Day.

Last edited:
Bruce, Thanks for posting this, I hoped you were gona..

You have a great weekend! and enjoy some time off.

God bless ya!

Lookin good Bruce. I really wish you were going to be at BLADE. I was really hoping to get to meet you.

I had time to etch and polish and re-etch and re-polish and cold blue and re-polish and re-blue and re-polished again. Looks good! I'm tickled pink. Next comes a guard, spacer or two and a handle of some kind. Its been awhile since I've used wood for a handle. Maybe this one will get wood.

100_7031_edited.jpg

wow that is out of sight

are you thinking of carrying the wavy theme on through... on engraving or the pommel

thanks for the peek
Greg

That looks awesome Bruce. A piece of Don Hanson's flaming walnut crotch wood would look great with that.

Carrying the wavy look all the way to the pommel would be cool. With the right grain in the wood and engraving on the guard and spacers and pommel I think it would all tie in together. Some flaming crotch black walnut would look good wouldnt it? One good neat thing about wood is the control over the shape of the handle. Antler sometimes controls the shape of the blade.

Very nice Bruce some nice crotch wood would look killer on that. You had enough of a break get back to work ;).

Last edited:
Outstanding pattern, Bruce. Any handle would look good on that knife as long as it doesn't detract from the blade (as if that's possible). Denny

That looks great Bruce. I sure hope you can find a nice piece of crotch wood for this.

I would say it needs a bit of a tweak at the back end but I'm sure it's just the drawing. Once you've got the wood on, it's easier to get it right.

I would say it needs a bit of a tweak at the back end but I'm sure it's just the drawing. Once you've got the wood on, it's easier to get it right.

I see what you're talking about. The tang will get modifed and threaded which will dictate the butt plate angle. Its a "take down" so the tang needs a gentle sweep and taper so it will come out smoothly. Good eye man.

Back