Winding Feather Fighter

Outstanding, Bruce! I am liking the more severe pattern on the tang too. Maybe a clear acrylic handle with some inlay work!? :D

Outstanding, Bruce! I am liking the more severe pattern on the tang too. Maybe a clear acrylic handle with some inlay work!? :D

I've seen some World War 2 bowies with B52 bomber plexi glass that was like that. 2thumbs

I had some time to mill the slots in the guard and spacer today.

100_7048_edited.jpg

100_7049_edited.jpg

anybody notice Kaye bought me a new wedding ring? Its made of tungston carbide. I will never wear this one out.

Hey Roger,
I was wondering if you are going to be at BLADE?,
...and also in post#40 is that your teddy bear on the ground? LOL

Thanks,
Steve

Black walnut is my favourite wood. Here's a piece from Dan Farr thatI got to cut into for a knife handle.

orig.jpg

I think that piece of RogerT's will make for a fine handle for this piece.

Roger

Man O Man, that is nice Roger. Dan Farr always finds the good stuff.
yeah, is that your teddy bear? Looks kinda flat.

Last edited:
Steve - no Blade for me this year and I'm pretty bummed. :(

The teddy belongs to the shop dogs:

orig.jpg

Roger

PS - that new wedding band is cool!

Last edited:
Bruce, That is by far the nicest damascus blade I have ever seen. I love it. I can't wait to see the end product.

Nice ring too.

Larry

My girl dogs are constant campanions here. They are a mother and daughter team and get along most of the time. The daughter cant see very well so she flanks mom everywhere.

Rock, Lets see if the rotating Bump logo works. Here goes:

BruceBumpAni.gif

It works! Great work Rock. Thanks.

Last edited:
Bruce, if you want that block for this project I can ship it to you when I return from Atlanta.

I like the new wedding band. I've been wearing one of those for four years now. When Nadine and I got married, I insisted that I needed two rings, one nice ring and one work/deployment ring. I guess I should have just stuck with the tungsten carbide ring. My gold wedding band only gets worn about three times a year for special occassions.

Bruce, if you want that block for this project I can ship it to you when I return from Atlanta.

I like the new wedding band. I've been wearing one of those for four years now. When Nadine and I got married, I insisted that I needed two rings, one nice ring and one work/deployment ring. I guess I should have just stuck with the tungsten carbide ring. My gold wedding band only gets worn about three times a year for special occassions.

I couldnt do that to ya, Murphda but thanks. You keep it until you get just the right blade to use it on. I picked up Rogers yesterday, Its more of a curly than crotch but so pretty. I can take my handle right out of the middle so the grain lines up. I want to have some checkering done in a section on each side also. The checkering will allow some of the pattern to show through it but I think the curly pattern would show best actually.

What a great piece of steel! Good job on coming up with an innovative solution and new pattern all at once.

--nathan

Hmmm...maybe we don't have the exact same ring. ;) But they sure do look alike. Probably made by the same folks. My wife just paid a bit more than you did. :D

--nathan

Got some more time today and slotted the guard and spacer. I milled the spacer down and left two tabs to engage into the back of the guard. The tabs were square and the slot was round so I had to round the tabs to fit the guard. This locks the spacer and the guard. Its a little tricky to do without taking off too much material but makes for a tight fit and self aligns. Allot less trouble than pins IMO.

Also cut the guard with a bandsaw and rough ground the spacer to width and bent the guard in the vice. This lazy S didnt even need to be heated. Gotta love 1018.

100_7054_edited.jpg

100_7055_edited.jpg

100_7056_edited.jpg

100_7057_edited.jpg

100_7058_edited.jpg

The spacer was too thick so I cut it in half on the bandsaw.

100_7059_edited.jpg

100_7060_edited.jpg

Back