Winding Feather Fighter

feather fabulous fighter... 2thumbs

or even a homebrew micarta... with a feather pattern.. ....(err has that ever been done before)

still... nice wood has class !

i'm excited... i hope this will be another wip tutorial

Greg

That blade is a thing of beauty. Wood with flow and curves sounds good, flaming walnut might be just right.

All I can say is WOW! As I do with all your work. I am looking forward to Bruce Barnett getting here on his return trip and sharing with me on his time with you.
Cheers Keith

All I can say is WOW! As I do with all your work. I am looking forward to Bruce Barnett getting here on his return trip and sharing with me on his time with you.
Cheers Keith

Ah, you know Bruce Barnett? Yes, he is spending almost a week here after Blade. We plan to burn up a ton of propane while he's here. In fact I'm re-lining my forge right now so it doesnt burn out with two of us using it.

Yeah Bruce is a great bloke, we usually go to Blade together but I could not make it this year. Just don't ask him to twist a bar!
Cheers Keith

Bruce, if you're in no hurry, I'll send you a picture if the perfect block of flaming walnut crotch wood for this piece. I've been saving it for the day I become competant enough to use it. I'll try to remember to look for it and take a pic when I stop by the house on my way to Atlanta.

I had time to etch and polish and re-etch and re-polish and cold blue and re-polish and re-blue and re-polished again. Looks good! I'm tickled pink. Next comes a guard, spacer or two and a handle of some kind. Its been awhile since I've used wood for a handle. Maybe this one will get wood.

100_7031_edited.jpg

Amazing!! Talk about turning lemons into lemon-aid! So nice.. 2thumbs

Here is one from our own Roger T. It is curley black walnut. I like this piece better than most black walnut I've seen before.

DSC03570_2.jpg

Bruce, if you're in no hurry, I'll send you a picture if the perfect block of flaming walnut crotch wood for this piece. I've been saving it for the day I become competant enough to use it. I'll try to remember to look for it and take a pic when I stop by the house on my way to Atlanta.

Yes, I would like to see what quality walnut crotch looks like. Cant wait. Hurry.:D

Last edited:
The wife and I are in Biloxi celebrating our anniversary this evening. We'll be heading back to Hattiesburg tomorrow to repack before heading to Atlanta. I'll try reAlly hard to remember to dig out that piece and snap a pic before we head out for Atlanta.

Yes, I would like to see what quality crotch looks like. Cant wait. Hurry.:D

Bruce can you say that on a public forum :eek:.

I like that piece above Bruce but for me it lacks a good feather but love the curly in it. Now that with a feather and you will be rockin :cool:.

Flamming Walnut Crotch Wood

Here ya go Bruce. These are pics of the nicest piece I got in the box from Don Hanson when I ordered from him last year. The dimensions are approximately 5"x2"x1 1/8".

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 373
Here is one from our own Roger T. It is curley black walnut. I like this piece better than most black walnut I've seen before.

DSC03570_2.jpg

You need to save that piece for when you do the feather pattern in the other direction then you could make a peacock feather. 2thumbs

Whew Murph, that is nice! You want my mailing address? :D
I think I'm going to check out Roger T's piece. I can see a gorgeous handle buried in there, maybe more. 2thumbs

Black walnut is my favourite wood. Here's a piece from Dan Farr thatI got to cut into for a knife handle.

orig.jpg

I think that piece of RogerT's will make for a fine handle for this piece.

Roger

Back