Winding Feather Fighter

Just an update,
The walnut grip is out being checkered and should be back within a week. Meanwhile I hope to do a tutorial on the nickel plating process. Not that I'm the expert on that subject but its nice to have a friend here in town that is. Lon and I will take some pictures of it and he will write the process and his thoughts of the subject. Blade Magazine wants the images and Lons written page for an upcoming article. This knife may be featured some time soon I hope.
Keep checking back because I'm still putting some shots on this thread.

Wow, Bruce, you have single-handedly changed my way of thinking about walnut. I had no idea it could look THAT good. Denny

Thanks Bruce. I'll pass this on to Ed , although no doubt he's alreday read it, since we follow your threads. Which reminds me I just picked up a copy of "Blades Guide to Making Knives" when I was at the library getting some books on home wiring (240 volt for an EERF (Polar Bear Forge Grinder)).

Just one man's opinion, but frankly compared to your threads I found the book to be rather uninspiring. Not that I want to encourage you to start writing books rather than posting your excellant WIPS. Thanks again!

Thanks Bruce. I'll pass this on to Ed , although no doubt he's alreday read it, since we follow your threads. Which reminds me I just picked up a copy of "Blades Guide to Making Knives" when I was at the library getting some books on home wiring (240 volt for an EERF (Polar Bear Forge Grinder)).

Just one man's opinion, but frankly compared to your threads I found the book to be rather uninspiring. Not that I want to encourage you to start writing books rather than posting your excellant WIPS. Thanks again!

I have that book in my library, Its good but ya cant just post a question to the writers/makers like you can here and have it answered with full color pictures the same day. It sure is fun isnt it?
BTW, Thanks man.

Bruce,

The BB Channel is NOT limited by # of pages, desk jockey editors, cruddy black and white images, production deadlines or associated costs etc etc etc....

Your WIP's are like Costner's Field of Dreams... if you build it, they WILL come.

Printed books are great for the basics and getting past recreational making to full on knifemaking addiction but there's nothing basic here. No sir, BB WIP's are the full monte !

Knifemaking College with Professor Bump !

Thanks again for your generous contributions to our community

-Josh

Bruce,

The BB Channel is NOT limited by # of pages, desk jockey editors, cruddy black and white images, production deadlines or associated costs etc etc etc....

Your WIP's are like Costner's Field of Dreams... if you build it, they WILL come.

Printed books are great for the basics and getting past recreational making to full on knifemaking addiction but there's nothing basic here. No sir, BB WIP's are the full monte !

Knifemaking College with Professor Bump !

Thanks again for your generous contributions to our community

-Josh

Josh, I'm blushing.
Thanks my friend. Happy to do my small part for the knife folks.
Hey I saw Field of Dreams and The Full Monte. Good ones.
Have I told you I like that knife in your avatar lately?

My buddy Lon fianlly came home from vacation and we did the nickel plating today.
I needed to sand all the 1018 parts down to 2500 grit and double check for grinder marks. The parts were soaked in the cleaning solution and dipped into the nickel plating solution for 20 minutes. Lon is writing a detailed "How to" article on his plating procedure and will submit it to Blade Magazine. Steve Shakleford called me months ago and wanted to do this article so it is finally almost ready for him.

100_7927.jpg

100_7934.jpg

100_7937.jpg

100_7940.jpg

100_7959.jpg

100_7963.jpg

100_7979.jpg

A quick buff and these parts are finished. I love this color and its very durable. I'll get a finished shot of the knife and sheath asap. I just really need to put the tip on the sheath and sharpen the blade and this knife will be put away until the Denver Show the 20th of this month.

Last edited:
Here is the last of the pictures until the pro shots in the future. I like this bowie.

100_7987_edited.jpg

100_7984_edited.jpg

100_7986_edited.jpg

100_7981_edited.jpg

Last edited:
Every bit as terrific as I expected it to be, and then some. The beautiful checkering, bright nickel plating and gorgeus hand tooled sheath all combine to elevate what would otherwise still have been a very awesome knife. Bruce and friends - you've all done real good.

Roger

Awesome Job, Bruce.
I love the part where you dip the stuff in the bubbly green soup.
You, my freind, are a "mad scientist".

A fan forever.
Steve

Wow - Wavy Walla-Walla walnut works wonderfully with bodacious Bruce Bump serendipitous serpentine steel! :biggrin:

Roger

Wow, just wow.

Has anyone looked in the dictionary under Mastersmith to see if there is a picture of Bruce or the line "see also Bruce Bump"?

Thank You, Thank You! Stop now Stop, no not really, more more :35::35:
Living The Dream. I do appriciate you guys.

Nice walnut Roger, thanks for the donation. I like this color of this nickel plating too. The early English bowies had nickel plating and it was highly accepted until stainless steel came along. The more recent Chrome plating has never worked for knives but nickel plating was around for years. Its way more durable because it cant rust underneath like chrome does. Its so scratch resistant too. It doesnt show finger prints even. I like it and want to do it again.

I think I mentioned it already but this knife may be in Blade Magazine for a plating "How To" article. Lon Miller is a good friend, writer and mad scientist and took on the job of writing the technical section for Steve Shackleford. It may be a few months but keep your eyes open for it.
This was one of the most enjoyable projects.

Last edited:
Wow Bruce, sure came together in a great way. Love that walnut finished. What a treat to hold that knife in my hand. RS

This one is now named "The Peace Keeper" and I just got these pictures from Roger Pinnock. He hasnt gotten it yet but Buddy Thomason shot all the PKA Show award winning knives. It won Best Fighter/Tactical.

Thomason1.jpg

Thomason2.jpg

Last edited:
Back