Basic Basket Weave Pattern

That would be a more uniform way to keep the pattern straighter and not as much grinding and restacking. I want to show some basic canister welding here soon

It does save on grinding and restacking, but your pattern looks very straight to me.

I look forward to seeing the finished blade and knife.

awesome tutorial..

right on 2thumbs2thumbs

by the way... welds are nice and clean.. you make it look very easy, but i know theres alot to it...

that cup wheel you use on the grinder... is that the same kind they use to clean up castings... is it better than the normal disc?

thanks
Greg

Last edited:
awesome tutorial..

right on 2thumbs2thumbs

by the way... welds are nice and clean.. you make it look very easy, but i know theres alot to it...

that cup wheel you use on the grinder... is that the same kind they use to clean up castings... is it better than the normal disc?

thanks
Greg

Thanks Greg,
I like it better than the disc but you may have to decide for your style of grinding. This angle grinder takes a 7" or 9" disc and can dig in easier than my cupped rock. It you gouge it too deeply the rest of the billet needs to be ground away to the remove the gouge thus changing the pattern somewhat.

Bruce, I know for a fact how much work all those pictures are and then posting them. I sure appreciate you taking the time to do these WIP's, they are great..

Bruce, I know for a fact how much work all those pictures are and then posting them. I sure appreciate you taking the time to do these WIP's, they are great..

Big +1 to that, I check in nightly to see if there are any new pictures. Thanks for taking the time to share with us. 2thumbs

Big +1 to that, I check in nightly to see if there are any new pictures. Thanks for taking the time to share with us. 2thumbs

Hi Rob. I'm happy you are a regular here. Thanks for that. I will be cutting the billet early week if my bandsaw holds up. The gear box was heating up so I put new grease in it. Now its noisey but may work long enough to accordian cut this one. I have high hopes for this pattern. There should be enough steel to make a couple knives or at least a nice knife and some bolsters.

Thanks Boss. It is time consuming but worth every minute. Thanks so much for allowing me to do this here. Its nice to have a place to kick my boots off and relax.

love your work Mr. Bruce i'm going to talk POPS into trying this pattern "this week" he gets stuck doing the same patterns unless you push him to change "HA HA HA" and your work is just great it gives me ideas some day i "might " maybe get as good as you ,thanks for the pix's .
Darci

Hi Rob. I'm happy you are a regular here. Thanks for that. I will be cutting the billet early week if my bandsaw holds up. The gear box was heating up so I put new grease in it. Now its noisey but may work long enough to accordian cut this one. I have high hopes for this pattern. There should be enough steel to make a couple knives or at least a nice knife and some bolsters.

Hhm, you've confused me now. I don't see how you're going to accordian cut and preserve the pattern.

I'm looking forward to the pictures that'll show me how!

We're all sitting on the edge of our seats again waiting for the daily dose of Bruce Bump Magic. I have learned so much from your WIP posts. Great show.

Larry

We're all sitting on the edge of our seats again waiting for the daily dose of Bruce Bump Magic. I have learned so much from your WIP posts. Great show.

Larry

I bought a new bandsaw blade today but I worked on the "feather pattern bowie" guard all day. Also bought a steel plate for under my brand spankin new rockwell tester that came in yesterday. Its an import one but looks like a nice tool. Cant wait to mount it and test something.
Thanks for tuning in!

Hhm, you've confused me now. I don't see how you're going to accordian cut and preserve the pattern.

I'm looking forward to the pictures that'll show me how!

Hi Stew, sorry to wait so long but I opened it up today and there is pattern everywhere.

Here ya go:

101_5758.jpg

101_5760_edited.jpg

101_5762_edited.jpg

101_5763_edited.jpg

101_5770_edited.jpg

Now to heat it up and smash it flat.
I left it thick on one end so I will have enough metal for a hidden tang.
I should add that I rounded the edges and the bottoms of the "V"s so it will resist tearing in those areas when flattening.

Last edited:
That's impressive. I knew there was some material loss in accordianing, but had no idea how much!

I extended the angles so I can cut up and use the wedges as bolsters possibly but still there is some waste. I've seen people put all their wedges in a canister with powdered metal for a one of kind pattern. I may do that someday.

There is another way to save material but it involves cutting the bar into 30 deg. angled slices and flipping them 90 deg and mig welding all the seams back together. I can show that sometime too. Tom Ferry taught us that one. Its nicknamed the "Ferry Flip". Its tricky but very cool.

Last edited:
Bruce,
I would like to volunteer to sweep your shop floor up the next time your out of town. Oh, by the way, you don't have any of those pesky metal detectors at the door do you? You know I think I have a pacemaker and it could be hazardous............

Steve

Bruce,
I would like to volunteer to sweep your shop floor up the next time your out of town. Oh, by the way, you don't have any of those pesky metal detectors at the door do you? You know I think I have a pacemaker and it could be hazardous............

Steve

No metal detectors, just huge magnets on both sides of the doors. :D
I wish you would sweep my floor Steve. Its my least favorite shop chore. I tried to put in a vacuum system but it doesnt work right. Sometimes I open the doors and use the leaf blower.:eek:

Aah, that makes more sense now. I was thinking of a much steeper cut on the accordian, not chopping out wedges.

Out of interest, why did you accordian anyway? Is it so that you weren't distorting the pattern as you flattened it thinner?

Mick Maxen over here polished up one of the wedges he had left over from a length of mosaic and turned it into a paper weight. :D Looked very cool!

Out of interest, why did you accordian anyway? Is it so that you weren't distorting the pattern as you flattened it thinner?

QUOTE]

I like the patterning achieved from the accordian method from the side and top view. The tile method shows a diagonal pattern from the top and this method gives a wavy pattern, and I also think the accordian method gives a stronger blade for a user knife because there are no fresh welds perpendicular to the blade.
The accordian method is an older, simpler method with more predictable results. This is the "basic basket weave" thread. I will someday show the tile method.

Last edited:
Back