Basic Basket Weave Pattern

How big is the motor on that grinder Bruce? Either that is a massive machine or you are a really small dude. I'm guessing the former. :D

Erin

Erin, I'm only 43" tall :D
The motor is a DC 1hp. It has a 2:1 ratio "V" belt jack shaft that doubles the power at the 14" drive wheel. I've never stalled it since added the jack shaft.

Hardness tester

Bruce, ( or anyone) I am looking at buying a hardness tester and at about the same price are the Enco and the Grizzley. The Grizzley weighs 50lbs more but other than that they look alike. Do you know how they compare to each other and are you still happy with yours. I live in Bellingham and Grizzley is in town and I would like to buy from them for convieience. What do you think? Thanks

Bruce, ( or anyone) I am looking at buying a hardness tester and at about the same price are the Enco and the Grizzley. The Grizzley weighs 50lbs more but other than that they look alike. Do you know how they compare to each other and are you still happy with yours. I live in Bellingham and Grizzley is in town and I would like to buy from them for convieience. What do you think? Thanks

I'm still tickled with my Enco tester. Its very consistant and hasnt needed to be re-calibrated. I've checked it against the test blocks at it hasnt changed at all. I would think if the Grizzley looks just like the Enco they are more than likely the same machine with different paint. Shipping makes a big differance when they require a frieght truck instead of UPS so I say buy the Grizzley if its convienient and easy to return if you are not satisfied. I've always been impressed with Grizzley machines.

I want to quit my day job and come work in your shop Bruce!!
Cool wip

Todd Begg

I am using bronze from our local Walla Walla foundry for the guard and pommel. I also used some sterling silver for the pommel and spacers with thin black vulcanized fiber between for contrast. As per customers request there is a "whistler" ivory elk tooth mounted into the pommel. This knife will be presented as a gift to a "man who has everything" land owner in some of the best hunting country in Africa. It is made here in Walla Walla Washington from all Washington materials. My customer has traveled many times there and have become very good friends with him. Even the elk taper is from Walla Walla on this knife. (I dont know where the sterling silver came from so dont tell anybody)

Anyway I have in in the glue clamps right now and plan to show some shots when its finished.

100_6397_edited.jpg

100_6396_edited.jpg

100_6399_edited.jpg

100_6401_edited.jpg

Sounds good Todd. Bring your CNC Milling machine with ya. :D

Will do:D we could make some cool guns/knives together using that thing.
It was good talking to you in Eugene, and your knives looked superlative as usual.

Todd

Yes he does. It kind of reminds me of a comment by Ed McGivern about fancy pistol shooting. "Its easy after the first boxcar load of shells."

I sure appreciate Bruce taking the time and making the effort to show us his methods.

I have the sheath done but the camera is out in the shop and I'm too dang tired to go get it. I've been nailing down hardwood floors in the guest room. That has to be one of the hardest jobs in the world!

Here is a quickie shot of the sheath, more to come. I'm almost ready to call my customer to come and get this hunter.

100_6495_edited.jpg

100_6533_edited.jpg

Back