Basic Basket Weave Pattern

Thanks guys!
I started grinding bevels on it and will heat treat it in the next couple days so dont wonder away too far.

I got back on it today and heat treated it. I sure like this PBC. Look how it just pops off and how clean the blade is under it. Aint that cool?

I tempered it at 395 for an hour twice and checked it with my brand new hardness tester. It tested at 57.5 on the C scale. Thats about right but I actually thought it would be around 58 or 59. This is a new tester but I calibrated it a couple times and tested the blade a couple places on the flats getting 57.5 each time.

101_5834_edited.jpg

101_5837_edited.jpg

101_5838_edited.jpg

101_5839_edited.jpg

101_5840_edited.jpg

101_5841.jpg

101_5842_edited.jpg

101_5845.jpg

Last edited:
Awsome Blade Bruce!! Hey whered ya get that sweet RC tester??

Thanks Shane
Enco had them on sale and I had the money at the time. 738.00 delivered to my shop door. Its an import but nice quality and seems to be very consistant. The manual is translated from Chinese but with the help of my intellegent best buddy we got it up and operating yesterday. I mostly bought it for slippies but I can see some other fun in the future.

Thanks Shane
Enco had them on sale and I had the money at the time. 738.00 delivered to my shop door. Its an import but nice quality and seems to be very consistant. The manual is translated from Chinese but with the help of my intellegent best buddy we got it up and operating yesterday. I mostly bought it for slippies but I can see some other fun in the future.

It does look to be great quality and that is a screamin deal. I would realy like one but the ones I have looked at are always about $2000 shipped. I will have to take a look at enco. Thanks Bruce

Last edited:
I have the blade ground and hand rubbed to 2000 grit. I also marked it with my logo and painted finger nail polish over my logo so it would resist the ferric cloride etching. On damascus I use a logo that has an oval around it and simply paint over my name and stay inside the oval. Being careful to not disturb the nail polish until after the etching is finished.

I also used a square to be sure my guard will sit square to the spine and clamped the file guide back on for the shoulders.

101_5854_edited.jpg

101_5855_edited.jpg

I wanted to show you guys what I've found to be the best electo-etch electolyte. I buy it at Marking Methods. It works on every metal I have used it on.

101_5856_edited.jpg

101_5860_edited.jpg

Great thread Bruce! Amazing2thumbs

What size wheel you grindin on? It's a big un

Great thread Bruce! Amazing2thumbs

What size wheel you grindin on? It's a big un

Its a 14" wheel. This grinder also has a 14" rear wheel and an 8" tracking wheel.

I like this picture. It reminds me of a hunting picture with an enormous elk. :D

101_5846_edited.jpg

Bruce if I understand you right on the picture set up you can use a 140ish inch belt then switch to the 14 and 8 inch for a 72 inch belt??

Thanks for the Response. The Grinder looks Enormous. Mike Basically asked my next question. 140" belt? She must run much cooler.

You are close. It takes 72" and 132" belts. It can also take uncommon sizes between 72 -132 because the rear idler slides and clamps. I havent used that yet though. Shane hit on one advantage is the belts last about twice as long, plus the 132" belts arent popular, or at least werent popular and I could buy them on ebay for much cheaper. Now it seems like nobody has 132" on ebay cheap. I'm running low on some grits and need to buy some soon.

Last edited:
How big is the motor on that grinder Bruce? Either that is a massive machine or you are a really small dude. I'm guessing the former. :D

Erin

Back