World's best thread about grinders...

Hey ArtinNC,I dont see nothing wrong with either one of those grinders.
Now get to grinding:D

God bless,Keith

I have been but don't you think I should finish some first???
100_1117.jpg

My new variable speed 2x72 grinder. Just finished building it at my friend's fab shop. (Quill Hyde, he's a whiz with design and fab.) The main parts were cut out on a CNC plasma torch, with a graphic of a snake wrapped around a torch, (Promethean Knives) I used the big contact wheel off my old hollow grinder, which meant we had to bore it for bearings to work with a square tooling arm setup, which lead to the slightly funky spacing issues you see on the attachments. It does not affect performance or ease of use however, it tracks nice and has plenty of power. That is a 3 HP, 3PH Baldor motor with the Teco FM50 VFD. It's a sensitive brute, just like I like. The VFD mount on the grinder frame is temporary, I'm mounting the VFD on the wall soon and using remote controls to keep it out of harm's way. The attachments all work great, the small wheel is just UHMW but would grind a little smoother with a rubber tire... I'm going to get a KMG small wheel fork for it eventually, though. I turned the tracking and idler wheels out of UHMW too, if it works for Bob Dozier it's good enough for me. I'm STOKED on this machine!

IMG_4061.jpg

IMG_4062.jpg

IMG_4058.jpg

IMG_4054.jpg

IMG_4055.jpg

IMG_4053.jpg

IMG_4064.jpg

IMG_4060.jpg

IMG_4059.jpg

IMG_4052.jpg

My new variable speed 2x72 grinder. Just finished building it at my friend's fab shop. (Quill Hyde, he's a whiz with design and fab.) The main parts were cut out on a CNC plasma torch, with a graphic of a snake wrapped around a torch, (Promethean Knives) I used the big contact wheel off my old hollow grinder, which meant we had to bore it for bearings to work with a square tooling arm setup, which lead to the slightly funky spacing issues you see on the attachments. It does not affect performance or ease of use however, it tracks nice and has plenty of power. That is a 3 HP, 3PH Baldor motor with the Teco FM50 VFD. It's a sensitive brute, just like I like. The VFD mount on the grinder frame is temporary, I'm mounting the VFD on the wall soon and using remote controls to keep it out of harm's way. The attachments all work great, the small wheel is just UHMW but would grind a little smoother with a rubber tire... I'm going to get a KMG small wheel fork for it eventually, though. I turned the tracking and idler wheels out of UHMW too, if it works for Bob Dozier it's good enough for me. I'm STOKED on this machine!

GrindZilla!

excellent...

Wow, to say that whoever collected all of those photos was obsessed with belt grinders might be an understatement. There are some beautiful machines there I have never heard of. Haim?

a new NWG build...
Lot's of mods to this one...lots. Eddie Swing did a nice job on it..

Attachments

• eddieswing1.jpg
    eddieswing1.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 332
  • eddieswing2.jpg
    eddieswing2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 310
  • eddieswing3.jpg
    eddieswing3.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 344
DSC00747.JPG

We will be taking this mobile grinder, on the road :) this fall, attending hammerins in the tri-state area; putting on grinding demonstrations with the Bubble Jig.

We'll be at the ABS hammerin, @ Troy Ohio, the end of August.

I'll put a list of shows up that we'll be attending as they come up.

The grinder base is a mobile machine bass by Makita. The frame work that the aluminum sheet is attached to, is 3/4 inch top and bottom with 2x6 at the perimeter.
The grinder is KMG driven by a, hinge mounted 2hp single phase motor. 1725 rpm.
The drive wheel on the grinder is 6" which gives the machine a top end of 5400 sfm, or there about.
In its folded position, 24" one man can move it; when it comes to getting it up on its legs you want two men.:eek:

The large work rest at the front of the grinder moves both horizontally and vertically, or it can be removed entirely.
The large tool rest adds considerable stability to your grinding.

Fred

Keep in mind:
Adding a piece of after market hardware, such as the jumbo tool rest, to an already inherently dangerous machine only increases that danger.

Fred Rowes new on the road grinder

DSC00753.JPG

DSC00761.JPG
DSC00737.JPG

A No Weld Grinder Build by Randy Hay with a couple nifty mods..

Grinder 016.jpgGrinder 009.jpgGrinder 010.jpgGrinder 011.jpgGrinder 013.jpgGrinder 014.jpgGrinder 015.jpg

I assume you mean the angle iron on top of the belt. That is an adjustable rest for my flat platten attachment that is able to be used while the large contact wheel is in place. The other pictures show the attachment removed from the machine. Randy

I see it now Randy.

You must have your machine a lot lower than me if you can look down on that platen rig...

Cool stuff.

My machine is at table height. When I was building it on my bench, it seems to be a good height, so thats how high I made it. I think its about 30" if my memory serves me right.

I think the greatest grinder thread ever needs a quick explanation of the different attachments for noobs like me... :)

I have seen the following and am curious what they are used for in the knife making process
1 - Giant wheel
2 - long belt space with no backing
3 - vertical belt space with backing

My guess is
1 - hollow grinds
2 - convex grinds
3 - flat grinds...

Am I close?

I'm sure most of you already know about this grinders pics collection... there are a lot of good ideas and some of them are really fancy and "super-machined".

http://gonza-rytec.rajce.idnes.cz/brusky/#album

PS:ehi! this is my first post on this forum! :steve:

I am now really confused about what to build, buy and or improvise. I guess you just do with what you have. Right now, too busy with caring for wife to be able to spend time time in shop.

[FONT=&quot]Jim just sent me these pictures. Looks like a nice build:

Tracy:
Here are some pics of my no-weld grinder. Some changes I made /characteristics:
I welded it
I modified the tool rest to adjust to any possible rotational position of the platen
I used a non-enclosed 3 hp rated VFD to power a 2 hp surplus 3-phase motor (to save money $272 for both). I put it into a home-made box that contains a 120v muffin fan wired to 1 leg of the 240 input; the inlet and outle to the boxt are covered with filter paper, and weather stripping is used at all junctions and around the protruding face of the vfd.
I used inch and a half pipe caps to cover tube end, on the outside of the small tubes and stuffed into the 2 inch tubes, outlet plates cover the openings of the main tube.

It is a fun project and I look forward to trying my hand at knife making.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jim Caldwell [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[FONT=&quot]Owings, MD

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Attachments

• g2.jpg
    g2.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 244
  • g4.jpg
    g4.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 244
  • g3.jpg