World's best thread about grinders...

Newly painted...:)

grinder20.jpg

grinder21.jpg

I've got a grinder from Kalamazoo:

Sorry to interrupt the 2x72 party. It's just a measly 2x48 run by a 1.5 HP motor. This was it almost brand new. It is covered in dust and the control box has a reverse switch now.

Here is my beast!:eek:

I am working at getting the parts together for the No weld grinder, exept I am going to weld it:p

00921513000-1.jpg

Here's my two 2x72's. They are pretty rough but I'm making them work. The green one is an OLD Olympic Square Wheel that was set up for 4x72 originally with a 3HP 3PH motor. The hollow grinder is built with a 12" contact wheel that I pulled off of an OLD "Toro" brand industrial belt grinder(3"x160"-ish?) and machined down at Ken Onion's shop. It runs OK but can have tracking/tension issues as the backstand idler was not designed to run in this position.
IMG_2143.jpg

IMG_2137.jpg

IMG_2734.jpg

This one is a 1x42 from Lee Valley Tools that I call "little Red." I use it all the time for stuff, small shaping/flattening/deburring jobs.
IMG_2730.jpg

And since this is a grinder thread, I'll link here to my "all about belt grinders" page on my website.
http://www.prometheanknives.com/shop-techniques-3/grinders

Last edited:
These have been posted before on other threads but I guess that I can post them again here:

It just dawned on me after the comments about stickers,,,, I need to forge a sculpture of Moe to put on my grinder. I'll get that done tomorrow.

Attachments

• Copy of Grinder 1.JPG
    Copy of Grinder 1.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 454
  • Copy of Grinder 2.JPG
    Copy of Grinder 2.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 391
  • Copy of Grinder 3.JPG
    Copy of Grinder 3.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 393
  • Copy of Grinder 4.JPG
    Copy of Grinder 4.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 399
  • PICT1026.jpg
    PICT1026.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
These have been posted before on other threads but I guess that I can post them again here:

It just dawned on me after the comments about stickers,,,, I need to forge a sculpture of Moe to put on my grinder. I'll get that done tomorrow.

Better be doing a WIP of that sculptuer I would love to see it!!

Pics of my grinding room
DSCN1457.jpg

Here you can see a Bader 3 that I use for a varity of different things, it's my quick go to grinder when I need to clean something up, sharpen, or whatever. I also use it quite a bit when shaping handles. In the back you can see my two main grinders, Bader Spacesavers. The one on the right is my high speed 5 hp I use for rough grinding and hogging. The one on the left runs slower and I use it for finer grits and finish work. These two grinders do most of my blade work and all of my hollow grind blade work. Notice I sit in the swivel chair and do my grinding. I can also spin around to my left and use the other Bader 3 with the small wheels and very slow speed that you can see in the next pic. I use it to radius around my guards and other handle work.

DSCN1456.jpg

Here is another Spacesaver that I modified and built a platen for. I use it for flat grinding and back the platen up for slack belt work. I do my a lot of my sharpening on this grinder. The little wheel B3 in the bottom is the slow speed grinder I mentioned above.

DSCN1458.jpg

Here you can see my belt conversion on my surface grinder and can see another angle of the Spacesaver with the platen.

Here's mine.Dave:)
Start off with the Burr-King.

shop8.jpg

This is an articulating table I made for it, also holds my dip bucket.

BKtable2.jpg

BKtable6.jpg

next is my grinder bench, with my homemade horizontal, a modified 1"x 42", and a homemade dual reversible disc sander

shop7.jpg

The horizontal

fe56b603.jpg

my home made disc grinder. It has a 1degree beveled disc and VFD. The motor is a 3/4HP 1150rpm frequency motor.
disc-grinder_185391.jpg

Beaumont metal works horizontal with a 1hp 1750rpm motor. i have the extension plate to use 72" belts but I am out of bench space. Someday I'll redo the mount and use the extension.
horizontal-beaumont.jpg

my KMG. I added a lever for the handle to get some leverage. Changing a belt is really easy with the added leverage. The motor is a DC varible 1.5hp. I can blow the 20amp circuit breaker using the flat platen and bearing down hard. My next motor will be a 220v VFD set up.
kmg-grinder.jpg

tool arms..
kmg-tool-arms.jpg

Moe Sculpture on Moe's Grinder

Ok Ernie, here are pictures of Moe on the grinder. BTW that is the real Moe, the model, in the background. Sorry, those pictures didn't turn out so good. I tried twice. First time I reduced them to much so had to go take them again. I will do another post and put the other pictures on and you can decide which you like best.

Attachments

• PICT1047.JPG
    PICT1047.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 223
  • PICT1048.JPG
    PICT1048.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 228
  • PICT1045.JPG
    PICT1045.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 234
  • PICT1046.JPG
    PICT1046.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Here are the first set of pictures. Maybe you can get some idea from all of this.

Attachments

• Grinder w Moe 1.jpg
    Grinder w Moe 1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 105
  • Grinder w Moe 2.jpg
    Grinder w Moe 2.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Grinder w Moe 3.jpg
    Grinder w Moe 3.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Grinder w Moe 4.jpg
    Grinder w Moe 4.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 94
KMG with more counter space.

Chemo has slowed me down just bolted down this week.

Attachments

• 4-4-10 005.jpg
    4-4-10 005.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 258
  • 4-4-10 006.jpg
    4-4-10 006.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 259
Back