World's best thread about grinders...

well, it started
motor is secured
55216_1699033644926_1510454849_31679930_2844575_o.jpg
[/IMG]
maybe little underpowered but
it was free
parts are on the cutting as I write (little mishhaps whit conversioon to mm but hopefully everything will go ok)
updates as I progress and all comments are welcomed
for wheels I plan to use skateboard wheels if evilbay likes me
http://cgi.ebay.com/SoCal-Skater-Smok-Cruise-N-Slide-76mm-Longboard-Wheels-/360281278891?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e27009ab
then belts
this will probleably be the biggest problem but I will overcome it

Nwg

You guys have some really slick set ups! This is a the worlds BEST tread about grinders!

Heres my NWG I scored the frame from a KD member, The motor is a old 2 Hp that Im gona need to replace very soon. (So if anyone has a good 2 HP or larger motor for sale. Message me please) The tool attachments and multi positional platen and wheels came from Tracy! and the base is a old table saw base.. Its not the prettiest grinder..Yet it runs true and still is a HUGE upgrade from the Giz 2 X 72 grinder I have been using!
But I must admit, The Griz will stay in service for profiling and surface grinding etc.. And my old 1 X 42 Delta will always have a place on my bench!

Attachments

• NWG 008.jpg
    NWG 008.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 157
  • NWG 001.jpg
    NWG 001.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 204
  • NWG 003.jpg
    NWG 003.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 187
You guys have some really slick set ups! This is a the worlds BEST tread about grinders!

Heres my NWG I scored the frame from a KD member, The motor is a old 2 Hp that Im gona need to replace very soon. (So if anyone has a good 2 HP or larger motor for sale. Message me please) The tool attachments and multi positional platen and wheels came from Tracy! and the base is a old table saw base.. Its not the prettiest grinder..Yet it runs true and still is a HUGE upgrade from the Giz 2 X 72 grinder I have been using!
But I must admit, The Griz will stay in service for profiling and surface grinding etc.. And my old 1 X 42 Delta will always have a place on my bench!

Hey!!! I seen that frame before.:les: If the welds break blame The BBBB Beaver.:3:

Hey!!! I seen that frame before.:les: If the welds break blame The BBBB Beaver.:3:

Yep, Its from your shop! VIA little Mikky! It only took me what 3 or 4 months to get together the stuff to finish it! lol

Hey I want one of them surface grinder set ups like yo have in my shop! I may be calling ya some time for some tips and guidance on making a biker style surface grinder!!!

I had to touch up a 2 of the welds and there were a few extra welds I kinda scratched my head at.. you know the ones! :) Either way, Im stoked and just did my 1st EVER hollow grind on a small folder blade. The thing works GREAT! tracking is true and even with the funky extra welds.. Im grinning from ear to ear like a kid in a candy store!

Yep, Its from your shop! VIA little Mikky! It only took me what 3 or 4 months to get together the stuff to finish it! lol

Hey I want one of them surface grinder set ups like yo have in my shop! I may be calling ya some time for some tips and guidance on making a biker style surface grinder!!!

I had to touch up a 2 of the welds and there were a few extra welds I kinda scratched my head at.. you know the ones! :) Either way, Im stoked and just did my 1st EVER hollow grind on a small folder blade. The thing works GREAT! tracking is true and even with the funky extra welds.. Im grinning from ear to ear like a kid in a candy store!
No problem on the surface grinder.:3:

That looks to me like a good blade launcher . It would make me a bit nervous on anything but really thick , soft material .
I only use a multi-tool 2x36 . But this thread has sparked a few build ideas .

Check craigslist look for used air comp. I got one for $65. with a 2hp motor. then sold the comp. for parts for $30. good luck

Adam, and I bet it works. It is amazing how simple it is to build a good grinder, once you get up the nerve to start.

It actually works really well, considering I only have about $100 in the whole thing, and most of that was for the two contact wheels from Sunray.
The only real problem is that the platen is a piece of heavy stainless that I made at work, and no matter how hard you try the bends always roll just
a little bit. So the platen isn't perfectly flat. I rarely change it from the lowest speed, so slow it doesn't even throw sparks. It has a 1hp motor from a brake
lathe. Even pushing as hard as i can, it barely bogs down. I'm sure i'll upgrade it later. Like getting a real tracking wheel instead of a caster that i have to grease
all the time, and some guards. You have to really pay attention when using it, there are alot of spinning parts to grab ya. It's amazing what you can do with a little
desperation and scrap metal.

That looks like it would sure get the gob done but whatever you do, don't let anyone from OSHA anywhere near it. You would end up having to worry about hospital bills from his heart attack as well as possible fines.

Please know that I'm just pocking fun at you. I look at the different designs that folks come up with for grinders and wish I thought I could put one together but figure I'd just end up with a pile of junk.

Nice job,
Carey

It actually works really well, considering I only have about $100 in the whole thing, and most of that was for the two contact wheels from Sunray.
The only real problem is that the platen is a piece of heavy stainless that I made at work, and no matter how hard you try the bends always roll just
a little bit. So the platen isn't perfectly flat. I rarely change it from the lowest speed, so slow it doesn't even throw sparks. It has a 1hp motor from a brake
lathe. Even pushing as hard as i can, it barely bogs down. I'm sure i'll upgrade it later. Like getting a real tracking wheel instead of a caster that i have to grease
all the time, and some guards. You have to really pay attention when using it, there are alot of spinning parts to grab ya. It's amazing what you can do with a little
desperation and scrap metal.

Have you thought about installing a ceramic glass liner? I recently installed on on my NWGS's flat platen, and it has made all of the difference in the world.

I'm excited to be building a GIB, hopefully this week! Ordered all my accessories from Tracy and that's all I'm waiting on so here's to hoping!

Back