What's going on in your shop?

Tried a coffee etch today. I like it.

I used about 4oz of instant coffee with 14oz of warm tap water. The cheapest instant at Walmart I could find.
This is about 20 minutes of soaking.

Prep is the same as other damascus.
Near mirror sanding, buffed and wiped clean with alcohol. No fingerprints please.

instant.jpginstant2.jpg

Last edited:
I had to change out the rubber backing on my disc today. The edges had gotten chewed up so off with the old.
Using 3m adhesive remover helped. I imagine any adhesive remover will work just fine.
A stiff rubber backing will allow a little "give" to press in and get stubborn spots. It also minimizes any abrasive granules telegraphing through the paper if they get stuck behind the sheet - which happens. Mostly it's just easier to use and get a good finish vs. a raw disc to abrasive.

peeling rubber.jpg

I used this stuff for the rubber to disc. This stuff is "high strength", what ever that means.
I do NOT use this for the abrasive to rubber. That is 3m Feathering adhesive which is a light tack adhesive.
3m histrength.jpg

spray both sides of the bond and let it tack up a minute or two.
tacked up.jpg

Put on a new one, cut around the edges and then while running, sand the edge smooth.
clean up the edge.jpg

Slap on a new sheet of abrasive and off to the races.
new sheet.jpg

Tried a coffee etch today. I like it.

I used about 4oz of instant coffee with 140z of warm tap water. The cheapest instant at Walmart I could find.
This is about 20 minutes of soaking.

Prep is the same as other damascus.
Near mirror sanding, buffed and wiped clean with alcohol. No fingerprints please.

View attachment 75652View attachment 75653

I use the exact same bottle of coffee. I’ll mix about 1/2 of it in a quart canning jar with hot water. Once done etching, I store it in the refrigerator. When needed again, I just heat it back up in the microwave. I’ve had it last more than a year that way.

I had to change out the rubber backing on my disc today. The edges had gotten chewed up so off with the old.
Using 3m adhesive remover helped. I imagine any adhesive remover will work just fine.
A stiff rubber backing will allow a little "give" to press in and get stubborn spots. It also minimizes any abrasive granules telegraphing through the paper if they get stuck behind the sheet - which happens. Mostly it's just easier to use and get a good finish vs. a raw disc to abrasive.

View attachment 75654

I used this stuff for the rubber to disc. This stuff is "high strength", what ever that means.
I do NOT use this for the abrasive to rubber. That is 3m Feathering adhesive which is a light tack adhesive.
View attachment 75656

spray both sides of the bond and let it tack up a minute or two.
View attachment 75658

Put on a new one, cut around the edges and then while running, sand the edge smooth.
View attachment 75655

Slap on a new sheet of abrasive and off to the races.
View attachment 75657
Where can I get that rubber backing? Thanks for sharing

Back