OFFICIAL FIRST KNIFE PICTURE THREAD...

Heres my first. I really gave up on it after I found out the cold rolled structural steel I used wasnt good for knives.:eek: I followed a tutorial called the absolute cheapskates way to make a knife.:D Not much has changed....im still cheap.:D
Knives091808014-1.jpg

First knife

This is my first knife. I made it in 2004,It's ATS-34 heat treated by Paul Bos. with Buffalo horn and red liners.45fdcdc9_590812.jpg
This next knife is my 100th knife made in 2007. It's ATS-34 heat treated by Paul Bos, with green canvas Micarta.

Attachments

• DSC01774.jpg
    DSC01774.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 71
Here are my first two knives. The first one, made in 1976, was an old file beaten out on my fathers anvil with an old kerosene blow lamp for a heat scource. The second one was made in 1979 out of a piece of 01 tool steel with hacksaw and files. Both handles are local Mallee wood.

Terry

this is the first complete knife i made, it was made for a Necker kith over on British Blades forum in 2008

Stock removal from a piece of American Damascus billet, lacewood scales and white fiber liners, if i recall correctly the dimensions are 3 1/4" blade 7" overall

2009_0220knives0005-2.jpg

Steve

Last edited:
OK here are a couple of my first knifes 5160. With some scrap wood I had around, don't have a clue what it is.

Attachments

• MVC-018S.JPG
    MVC-018S.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 38
There are firsts and there are firsts.

Below is a photo of the first "knife" I can recall making. I think I was about 15 at the time. I don't know what the steel is... and I'm pretty sure it's not hardenable. I heated it with a rosebud tip on an acetylene torch and beat it out with a hammer using the back of my dad's bench vise as an anvil. The handle is some sort of leather.
4288763337_396bca3be0_o.jpg

Twenty years later, and the following is the first real knife completed... completed almost one year ago.
3567304071_ab1a5b26e4_o.jpg

I'm working on no. 8 now.

Erin

note: Nos. 1-7 can be seen in my GALLERY.

Bringin er back from the dead,

I will post my first and second because they were made side by side about 4 months ago... I have 4 sitting on the grinder waiting to be finished... and about 25 more in my sketch book, lol. Mind you these are the first 2 I still have, I started about a year ago and junked everything I did for a while after beating them to death then doing break tests... now that I have an electric HT oven and a 2x72 Im pretty confident in my process...

Here is my first made from 3/16" 1080 and homemade black n blue denim micarta.
knife1.jpg

Here is My second made using L6 with homemade black n tan homemade micarta... The blade has a DEEP etch to prevent corrosion, has cleaned about 7 different saltwater species and several fresh water and is still hair poppin sharp.
knife2.jpg

How did I ever miss this. Man, you guys sure know how to make a rookie feel inferior. Great looking first knives guys!

Here is my humble 1st.....Finished a couple months back.
AAMorgansBlade99Complete003.jpg

Its amazing to see what you guys are producing these days. I hope a year or two from now my blades look like they came from the factory! I still have a LONG way to go:eek:cool 1

Chris

First Knife

Rosewood, nickle silver bolsters and junk steel from Home Depot. Filed by hand with the help of a portable belt sander turned upside down and held with one hand while the knife was held by the other-fun anyway! .... But not so much fun that I'm gonna do another without a belt grinder!

Attachments

• DSC_0344.jpg
    DSC_0344.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 33
My first, made by me with a little help from Tai Goo. OK, a lot of help. OK, I kinda mostly watched during the forging part. ;)

rightso9.jpg

My second and third, also made with Tai's patient assistance:

dashisso6.jpg

Here is my first knife, but it was made with a LOT of help at a Bark River Grind-In. So not really completely made by myself.

Ice-In-2008-Drop-Point.jpg

But this is what got my juices flowing about knife-making, and very soon after that grind-in, I bought a Grizzly grinder. All I could afford at the time. And this is my first knife completely made by my hand. Black micarta with a couple small mosaic pins, convex ground. Steel is a hardened Toro bedknife from a greens mower.

new-drop-point-A.jpg

new-drop-point-C.jpg

Some pretty nice knives on this thread for first knife. Don't know if I should show my knives. This is the first two made in 1985 from O-1.
Hope I'v improved some.

100_0999.jpg

100_1001.jpg

Last edited:
here is my FIrst knife

here is the first I did. made from a old saw blade blank i bought down by SIlver Dollar City about 18 years ago. i made a couple more but then did not make any until a couple years ago.

Attachments

• 000_0004.jpg
    000_0004.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 29
Great thread for rookies like me

I like this thread but wish the "Official First Knife Picture Thread" were made a "sticky" listed near the top of Knife Picture Gallery Thread. Easier to find that way.

My first from about 2 years ago:

It's A-2 and buffalo horn. I don't remember what the poorly spaced pin material was... might have used stainless corbys on this one. It was supposed to be flat ground/filed, but I couldn't keep the files straight from pass to pass so I ended up convexing it on my 1x42... it's so nice to have a real grinder now!

smchopper.jpg

Heres my first knife. Bought the blade from a popular auction site and picked up the lacewood from woodcraft store. I finished it this weekend and already have 3 more blades to turn into a finished product!
dscn2932u.jpg

dscn2931.jpg

dscn2929t.jpg

Back