OFFICIAL FIRST KNIFE PICTURE THREAD...

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
This is where you post a picture of your first knife...:eek:

pony up fellas...Let's see 'em...

O-1 & Walnut for my Uncle in 2004

I did this back in 2004. There were some kits and handling of blanks before this, but this was my first grind, filework, heat treat, hidden tang and sheath. My uncle still uses it.....hard! Walnut burl is still one of my favorite handle matierals...2thumbs The pic's are bad but thought I would share.

Last edited:
Shaughnessy First

File....had a little trouble with the hole nearest the blade, still hardened....LOL Second pic is with the dyed quilted maple handle on it.

ja006.jpg

k013.jpg

Made from a file that didn't even get hard. I had no idea what I was doing then a few years ago but here's my first attempt.

Well, I guess I'll add to the thread. Here's my first knife ever completed. It's profiled from an old hand-saw blade. I ground it without re-heat treating and just put and edge on it. I was really proud when I got it done, and now that I look back, it launched me into the craft for good.

IMG_0454.jpg

I can't show you that without showing you something more recent. This next one was actually made probably around 2 years ago from O-1 and ironwood (with a poorly executed sheath).

IMG_0635.jpg

Total elapsed time between these two knives is probably about 2 years and a few knives ;).

--nathan

This was my first one completed--made kits a dozen years ago, made my own blade from a circular saw blade before this one but never finished it, then decided to work with some real steel.

ATS-34, brass, rosewood spacer, and zebrawood. If I recall this went to someone in a KITH. . .

This blade was completely hand filed and sanded. No power tools. Heat treat by Texas Knife Supply.

KITHknife.jpg

My first forged knife. + a little 'stock removal' after forging. Actually I did a bit of re-profiling after I built my grinder. The ferrules are copper pipe that I hammered an edge over on and the guard and pommel are mild steel that I nickel plated. Peened tang, 5160 steel. Oh yeah, a piece of oak dowel is the handle material.

gedc0330-0.jpg

My first knife

My first knife made from a corn drill disc. The disc was given to me by a 16 year old farm boy from his daddy's corn drill. The boy is an avid deer hunter and shot his first buck last year a 197" trophy. I surprised him with the knife. There is no money that could ever replace the look on his face when I gave him the knife. What is cool is that the year before he used the steel in the knife to plant corn and now he has a knife of his own that is unique. The steel is 1075 and the wood is leapordwood. I made the pins and a sheath that is not shown. Not the best knife, but my first and I am very proud of the story behind it.

knife3.jpg

Here's my lame attempt at a first knife...I had some minimal forging skills, but a Heckuva Tutor helping me with the forging ...My First knife I ever made. I took 3 pieces of 1/2" wire rope gotter red hot, twisted it all up and forged welded it to make some cable damascus. I used cow shin bone to make the handle and copper fuel line to make the rivits... as you can see I wanted it to be a fancy tacticool tanto...

n625615241_1873042_5154.jpg

and my newest... a smithed, W1 drop point hunter,w/ hamon, heat blued 1018 bolsters, asian buffalo horn. Brass pins, liners, and bolster accents

8934_153554070241_625615241_3454034_7259137_n.jpg

No longer a knife admirer...

Now I am a knifemaker!

I just finished my first knife last night.

While I have made a lot of dust even more mistakes, I am kinda fond of it.

ATS-34 hollow ground with Tracy Mickley's No Weld Grinder. (If you see this - Thanks for all the help, Tracy) I had it heat treated and cryo treated and Texas Knife Supply which isn't far from my house.

Spaulted Pecan scales with mosaic pins.

Everytime I see the work on this page, it just makes me realize how much more there is to learn.

Johnny
10135_136624949426_750514426_2440479_6193366_n.jpg

10135_136624954426_750514426_2440480_2043284_n.jpg

My first...

The fixed blade was my first try at knife making back in 2000. Never tried to make another...need better tools to work with. All raw stock not a kit, my design. Diamond Wood, brass and the blade is from tool steel ( 22" saw blade from work)

The folder I made from a kit a few weeks ago. The wood came from a tree I cut on my father-in-laws land. Black maple, had a lot of burl knots on the trunk. I used some of the wood on other woodworking projects..still have a lot more to use. I died the wood to get the dark look. Used Minwax wood hardener on the scales. My first try at a folder. I think she turned out just fine. Father-in-law got it as a birthday gift.

I am trying to get me some good tools and I will start making some new ones
real soon. Wish me luck on this new skill.

Attachments

• fix_fold.jpg
    fix_fold.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 120
  • folder.jpg
    folder.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 99
Here is the first one I have finished - I have started on several prior to this though. It is based off a Typhoon kit. I reground the blade and the handles so I do feel it qualifies as my first knife. The inserts are curly Koa I found in Hawaii. In fact the only thing that I didn't modify was the screws that hold it together. Every single time the belt bit into the blade I just knew I'd ruined it. Every time I chamfered another handle I'd swear it was worse than the last. Somehow I just didn't stop this time, and sat quietly sanding for hours after all the power work. It came out clean and locks up solid open and closed with very little play on the spin. I call it "Bowie-Song". Maybe cheezy but I am a proud papa and just had to name it! :D

89250e2c.jpg

56271cbf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back