my knives

Carbon Fiber Dagger

OAL: 18cm / 7"

Blade: aprox 8.5cm/ 3.2"

Blade width: 3cm/1.25" at widest

Handle thickness: 8mm/0.3"

weight: 42g/1.5oz

a great and cool tool, for opening boxes, letters etc.

can be used for martial arts training or for self defense, can be carried in a bag or with sheath. light weight.

different carbon fiber thicknesses and variety of designs available.

DSC05841.JPG

DSC05843.JPG

Last edited:
i bought the part on weapons law, and let me tell you, its VERY unclear, works for both sides really...
technically its illegal because its double edged, but is it a weapon? its plastic! could be a toy or letter opener!! hmmm... !!!

Shokr,
I they find that in your bag or on your body at the airport? Its Definably ILLEGAL! No fuzzy or unclear laws there.:biggrin: They will not be happy with you!

Very cool looking!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

well it wouldnt be wise to walk around airports or go poking a cop's nose with it!!
but still its a good tool for many things
also several companies sold stuff like that so i'm guessing there are legal merits

well it wouldnt be wise to walk around airports or go poking a cop's nose with it!!
but still its a good tool for many things
also several companies sold stuff like that so i'm guessing there are legal merits

After 9/11 here in the USA they don't have much of a sense of humor about anything like that!
Yes, Some make them and sell them but I would not want to be the "Test Trail" about the legality of making thinly veiled Letter opener's etc that are weapons that can defeat a medal detector.

I was incarcerated for 7 nights & 8 days years ago and I truly enjoy feeling the wind and the sun on my face far too much to risk my freedom when there are so many other kinds of knives & letter openers that I can make that don't put my freedom at risk.

Have fun!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I got one similar to that from some knife company I ordered some stuff from as a gift. It is a carbon fiber dagger almost identical to that one except it all black.
The damn thing has scared me every since it arrived! Why because even though it carbon fiber, it is razor sharp on the edge and I guarantee for at least one plunge it would be deadly, and being carbon fiber it would probably hold up for more than one! And I have always felt it was border line illegal! I use it in the shop to cut sand paper and wouldn't carry it for a million dollars because the first time you are stopped by Johnny Law there ain't going to be an explanation good enough as to why you are carrying something like that!!!! :what!::31:

Well I just went out to my shop to get it, I was going to take a pic, and can't locate it at the moment. I don't know maybe I got rid of it,:les: or it may just misplaced at the moment!:biggrin:

Anyway I guess I have expressed my opinion about one like that. I feel they (being those with the rules and the guns) are going to look less likely on one like that than are a full blown zombie chopper, but then again that is just MHO after showing it too my son who is a deputy in the next county. His exact words were I wouldn't get stopped with that, and my exact reply was no it never leaves my shop!

thanks a lot :)

btw the one who requested this knife asked i dont put a sharp edge on it for some reason, i think she just wanted a pointy tip for self defense? im not sure, however while hand finishing it and edge was put by accident on the wider part, so i left it there until further notice

Carbon fiber can take a fairly mean edge!
More than enough to cut or piece someone with. The first time I cut it on my band saw sparks flew, toasting the bandsaw blade. If It's hard enough for sparks? It will take and hold a edge for a while.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

havent been sharing much lately, but things have been propelling out of orbit a bit...

latest knife (yet one of the earlier ones i started)

leafspring fighter

6mm/ 1/4″ leaf spring
OAL: 36.5cm / 14.25" aprox
Edge: flat ground 22.5cm / 9″
false swedge
Handle: 12cm / 4.8" Camo (green, tan, and black) canvas micarta with orange G10 liner
etched in vinegar

it aint pretty, but i wouldnt want to be at the receiving end of that blade, and that is no sales pitch :)

btw the thats paper from testing the blade on the edge, the edge is not 'sawy' lol

20130502_151203.jpg

20130502_151214.jpg

20130502_151225.jpg

20130502_151253.jpg

20130502_151322.jpg

Attachments

• 20130502_151322.jpg
    20130502_151322.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
also some WIP

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

someone asked for a kitchen set

customer asked for kitchen knife set for his fiance, so i'm making chef, santoku, paring, and utility (and backup chef) will choose three

plus some other designs, the steel is unknown so far, but local knifemakers make butcher knives from it and supplier said he will handle HT

some other WIP is not shown here

and this is the last update of the chef knife, feels *almost* good in the hand, but something is not right yet

IMG_20130507_151004.jpg

ideas and thoughts are welcome
8" blade and aprox 4.4" handle (i dunno why ppl make 5" handles... i still have excess and my hand size is Large in gloves)

Shokr,
I make my handles 5 1/2" or longer on my Culinary knives. One problem I see on your Chef knife is that there isn't enough knuckle clearance on the handle.

You might want to start with a taller piece of steel and angle the tip so that the handle is up off the board. DSCN0885.jpgDSCN1455.JPG

Those two are my 8 1/2 and 11 1/2 " blade Italian style Chef knives. These are even taller than most, But still the profile you have in the picture is more of a Japanese Suji style slicer in height.

Hope this helps.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Shokr,
You could make most of those blanks into Wa handled or Thru Tang handle knives to get more clearance in the knuckle area.

Laurence

thanks a lot Laurence,
yeah i realized that knuckle clearance thing :/ the set is made for someone with smaller hands, 8.5cm wide i believe, so im hoping i ratio-ed it right (or at least, not so bad) regarding clearance and handle length

edit:
latest pic so far
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Last edited:
Back