my knives

thanks a lot Shawn :D
really glad you like it, and yeah i like this one a lot, plan on making more in the future

Steel: Sverker21 (D2), 3mm/ .118″ .

OAL: 24.5cm / 9.65"
Edge: 12cm / 4.7″ (hollow ground bevel with 3" wheel)
Handle: Red Mother of Pearl Krinite

20131021_092837-1_resize.jpg
20131021_092848_resize.jpg

finished few days ago

Stee:l Sverker 21 (D2), 3.6mm
OAL: aprox 24cm
Edge: aprox 12.5cm with swedge(false edge)
Handle: black linen micarta with newon green G10 liner
Weight: 138g

20131024_140943.jpg
20131024_140958.jpg
20131024_141013.jpg
20131024_141020.jpg
20131024_141120.jpg
20131024_141242.jpg
20131107_143816.jpg
20131107_143959.jpg

Last edited:
havent been active around here (nor in making) for a while

finished this one today tho, has A LOT of bobo's but still great experience making it
1521379_10151802618171128_1384356742_n.jpg

7" fighter, tapered tang, micarta handle. still needs to be sharpened (and even thou it was shiney after clean up it looks smudgy for some reason)

Ahmad,
I really like the last two knives. Nice grinds and proportions. Have things settled down at all over there?

Not realy, Laurence

Im just trying to keep a low profile as much as possible, finishing knives i already started and thats it.
Its really tempting to start new things though! But cant even find workshops for water jet and surface grinding now

Im doing what i can and God always provides and *fixes* things for me :)

Ahmad,
Due to illness and making myself even sicker from grinding Micarta and rosewoods I once had to close my shop for almost a year to let my body heal and stop breathing contaminates etc. That's when i came up with my Asian chef design of three knives in 4 3/4" 7 3/4" & 9 3/4" that have become good sellers.

Maybe its time to think of new designs and spend some time drawing them?

Stay safe over there!

Laurence, thanks

i actually have more designs than i could ever make, before i started making knives i spent an entire year designing, then i designed some more and more. i even realized i draw the exact same knife more than once :D what i really need is to work and improve my skill! no way of telling how things would go around here the upcoming period, on personal and nation wide scale

i try doing few other things on the side, nothing is picking up yet tho
including these

1526293_715511365134556_872790478_n.jpg
1379976_671994722819554_1437793971_n.jpg

micarta training knives

other options include gun grips, kydex sheaths and holsters, knuckle dusters, etc. but i *really* want to make knives! you know, today i recieved a letter sayin that a package of monkey fists got held up in customs, needing clearance from national security. like yeah, thats gonna happen!

wow i really needed to vent... anyway, as long as God is in heaven i'm good to go! :)

Cool projects,
Remember that Micarta releases Formaldehyde when you grind it and can even get through your skin. My father was a science teacher and would break out on his hands from the formaldehyde that the frogs were preserved in.

I have a heightened sensitivity to it as well. MEAN headaches etc.. I can't use the stuff anymore. It can embalm your brain if you get exposed to it.
Wear the respirator and cover your skin when grinding it and have a fan blowing the air out.

Lady Hair dressers get a lot of exposure to it from doing perms. They have the highest rates of brain problems of any occupation.
Stay safe!

Cool projects,
Remember that Micarta releases Formaldehyde when you grind it and can even get through your skin. My father was a science teacher and would break out on his hands from the formaldehyde that the frogs were preserved in.

I have a heightened sensitivity to it as well. MEAN headaches etc.. I can't use the stuff anymore. It can embalm your brain if you get exposed to it.
Wear the respirator and cover your skin when grinding it and have a fan blowing the air out.

Lady Hair dressers get a lot of exposure to it from doing perms. They have the highest rates of brain problems of any occupation.
Stay safe!

Wow, I didn't realize that it could get in through your skin.
Thanks for posting.

Thanks a lot Laurence

Didnt know that, i do cover all of my body, except part of my facr and hands and i work outside too, but yeah, that stuff is nasty, specially since i work with a lot of it, i get covered in it!!

Thanks again Laurence

I've really been enjoying seeing your progress, Ahmad. You're a very talented knife maker.

Remember that Micarta releases Formaldehyde when you grind it and can even get through your skin. . . . It can embalm your brain if you get exposed to it.

Wow, I didn't realize that it could get in through your skin.

Didnt know that

MSDS sheets for the various phenolic laminates are widely available. Here is one for Phenolic-paper Laminate - what we generally call 'Paper Micarta'.

Here are two exerpts that are of interest:

Hazardous Decomposition Products: CO, CO2, Phenol, Formaldehyde if heated in excess of 300 deg. C.

300 degrees Celsius is 572 degrees Fahrenheit.

Also:

May cause Moderate eye, skin, and throat irritation. No known delayed (Subchronic & Chronic) effects.

Thanks a lot, Shawn. This means a lot coming from you :)

So far i understood im good as long as i dont heat the stuff enough to melt it. Will check the pdf when i get the chance (im driving)

Thanks for the info

Sharp belts as usual will help keep the temperature down but any long term exposure to formaldehyde can be detrimental.

Having the dust get on sweaty skin is not a good idea.

Back