2013 Knife Making Progress

Trying to get caught up with this pile. There are quite a few new things I am going to try and look forward to seeing how they turn out. There is a monster in there, too.

Just finished my first sheath. It took three attempts to get a decent first...

2013Progress004_zps28307901.jpg

2013Progress005_zps94ab9c06.jpg

2013Progress006_zps787cbef2.jpg

2013Progress007_zps3a077d0d.jpg

I absolutely love this thread!!! Feeling very inspired, Thanks for all the (pictures) included cause it really helped me understand a lot. Thanks Steve

I absolutely love this thread!!! Feeling very inspired, Thanks for all the (pictures) included cause it really helped me understand a lot. Thanks Steve

Awesome! I am so glad you are enjoying it, J! Hope you learned a little from these amazing people along the way, like I did. A few more months and this thread will be done. It will be interesting to look back a year and see what I made then to what I will be making in a few months from now.

Thank you, buddy.

Got the sheath done for the Kephart. Pretty happy with this one.

2013Progress001_zps37ca9de0.jpg

2013Progress002_zps7f596f55.jpg

2013Progress003_zps3a0c31c8.jpg

2013Progress004_zps080f937e.jpg

2013Progress006_zpsf5edece6.jpg

And started on sheath #3 for knife #10. I really need to quit counting :biggrin:...

2013Progress009_zps07fa1eb0.jpg

Almost finished with this one. Just dyed it (picture taken before dye) and all that needs to be done is stitching and edge kote. I have grown quite fond of working leather.

2013Progress012_zps5bb464d0.jpg

Those are some nice sheaths Steve, especially for your first attempts! I also discovered that I liked leather work nearly as much as making knives! It can be just as rewarding and just as frustrating! :)

Man i cant wrap my head around how your doing what your doing. Your blades look machined. You have a methodical approach to making knives. To me it looks like you change angles by a degree or two. It all seems so mechanical. I imagine that this is how a military geometry mathematician would go about making knives. Keep up the good work man your doing a great job.

Thank you, dereklee!

Something that I have seen posted and written everywhere is "patience". The slower I go, the less mistakes and better quality I get. Sometimes its hard to slow down but once you do, the results are 100% better. Thanks for the comments!

Back