2013 Knife Making Progress

Thank you, Shawn. It is proving to be my most difficult grind yet. I can not keep the grind straight for the life of me.

Thanks, Stew. I had to put it down for the day. It is just not working out so far.

I did do pretty good on two others...

2013Progress001_zpsbf91370d.jpg

2013Progress011_zps6ea11b29.jpg

2013Progress015_zps001885e1.jpg

2013Progress018_zpsc8e97c7a.jpg

2013Progress019_zps0ec31d5a.jpg

And here is the cleaver so far...

2013Progress013_zps866d6377.jpg

Really did not want the grind this high but you live and learn. It is definitely different than grinding a regular knife shaped knife.

It is definitely different than grinding a regular knife shaped knife.

I learned that early on as well. It is easier to grind a curved line than a straight one!

Just make it a full flat grind and when you hand rub it all will be well again in the universe. :001_smile:

Steven, your thread is very inspiring. I have just finished making my first knife and if I can progress even half as fast as you have I will count that as more than I could hope for. I have been so wrapped up learning all I can about making knives that deer season has snuck right up on me! Keep up the good work!

I learned that early on as well. It is easier to grind a curved line than a straight one!

Just make it a full flat grind and when you hand rub it all will be well again in the universe. :001_smile:

I thought it was going to be easier to grind but man was I wrong. Full flat grind is the plan. Thanks, Shawn.

Steven, your thread is very inspiring. I have just finished making my first knife and if I can progress even half as fast as you have I will count that as more than I could hope for. I have been so wrapped up learning all I can about making knives that deer season has snuck right up on me! Keep up the good work!

Thank you for the kind words. This knifemaking thing will take over your life. Everything in the past year has snuck up on me :)

I like the documentation you're doing on your progression. It's very helpful to the new guys.

Thanks, man. I have been slacking lately but will be posting more from now on. Can't wait to see the end of this thread when the year is over and look back at my first knife.

Went ahead and made two templates of my Model 1 (regular and modified with a shorter blade) since I have a bunch of these on order. Also started working on a few more...

2013Progress002_zpsd3edac98.jpg

And something for fun...

2013Progress001_zps62a84963.jpg

2013Progress004_zpsc0df1340.jpg

Working on a few custom orders, Model 1's, and new designs as I wait for the last batch to get back from heat treat. I'm ready to get to work on some handles...

2013Progress003_zpsef715052.jpg

2013Progress002_zps5bd7efae.jpg

I have quite a few of my Model 1's on order and I got to say, making the same knife over and over again sort of takes the fun out of it. But I feel blessed that there are people willing to pay for my work so I can't complain. Life is good...

...you're busy doing something you love. I'd say that's gold. I still want to hear about your hatchet. I think I would like to try and make one myself, and it looks like you have a pretty good design going there.

Sorry about that, Eric. Glad you like the design.

Hatchet specs:
- 3/16" O1
- 11.75" long
- 3.25" cutting edge
- the handle is about 1" in width up to the palm swell.

All I had was a 4" piece of O1 so I just started drawing within those limits and came up with this. Should be a lot of fun swinging it through the forest.

Got this batch back from heat treat yesterday. Time to get some knives out the door. I will be able to get my own oven after these :)...

2013Progress001_zps71c73070.jpg

2013Progress002_zps3a70d393.jpg

Hope this comes out as planned...

2013Progress001_zpsc88795bf.jpg

2013Progress003_zpsbe56c540.jpg

Back