2013 Knife Making Progress

Now thats a Pile !! Ya know after I finished posting my last knife , i tried something different. I usually make one knife at a time . I finish the knife , make the sheath, take a few pics and call the customer..

I found myself getting tired of making sheaths for now , So I made 4 knives . They are sitting at home with no sheaths , I havent posted any pics either . Maybe I should let you guys take a look at all 4 in one shot and then maybe with the sheaths later ..

I dont know , I just needed a little break from the leather I guess ??

Your stuff is looking good, you should try maybe popping a few bolsters on .. Give it a try when you have a clear head. LOL !

Can't wait to see those, Mike. I think if I had my own oven, I would probably do 4 or 5 at a time. These are going to Peter's for heat treat and I need more bang for my buck. When they get back, I will probably finish them in groups of two.

Hope you get the leather bug again because I always look forward to seeing your work. Plus, the leather bug bit me.

Thanks, man. I going to do a few bolsters in this batch but they will be micarta and G10. After those, hopefully the steel ones will be next. Like you said, when I have a clear head :biggrin:

Need some more belts so I decided to work on one that has already been heat treated. Need to sell it to finish working on this batch. Also made a larger strop...

2013Progress001_zps184681a2.jpg

2013Progress003_zps9ad8fda2.jpg

2013Progress004_zps8a3b387c.jpg

2013Progress005_zps73a4c50e.jpg

Here is some hand sanding for you, Mikey. It's almost a shame because I am going to try an etched and tumbled finish. But the finish will hopefully be worth it...

2013Progress007_zps36b1b72a.jpg

Finished...

Knife11001_zps9e9c0406.jpg

These spots mysteriously appeared. Kind of bummed me out but it was my first time acid etching and using my new tumbler...

Knife11002_zpsa406807b.jpg

Knife11003_zpsa3c6cff2.jpg

Knife11004_zps8561ac85.jpg

Knife11009_zps38a3530c.jpg

Knife11018_zpsab8f418c.jpg

Knife11021_zps01101f47.jpg

I had a few bad days in the shop and I was happy to get done with this without having to scrap it.

Been a little absent lately but have had the time to get some work done finally. I had a knife from my first batch of knives that I had ground way too thin and didn't really like the shape of it. Changed it up a lot and this is the result...

Knife12009_zps56223c18.jpg

Knife12008_zps65ff3515.jpg

A little more grinding and sanding and these will be ready for heat treat...

2013Progress003_zpse561af62.jpg

2013Progress004_zps7e4cc884.jpg

2013Progress005_zpsfb1409d0.jpg

2013Progress001_zps2ee80cad.jpg

2013Progress006_zps397d1934.jpg

And a video of me finishing the rough grind on my biggest knife yet...

[video=youtube_share;TDh-8ZIlBes]http://youtu.be/TDh-8ZIlBes[/video]

Also finished another sheath...

2013Progress003_zps8181da06.jpg

2013Progress002_zpsd52febd1.jpg

Thanks for checking it out!

Lovin it Steve. I love seeing how you're slowly making your move towards different designs and feels . I think your stuff is coming together every day !

Lovin it Steve. I love seeing how you're slowly making your move towards different designs and feels . I think your stuff is coming together every day !

Thank you, bro. It is a blast to see how it is all coming together and evolving. I feel more comfortable on the grinder with every new blade. Couldn't have gotten this far wothout you guys.

I've been following your thread and have enjoyed watching your progress. Your effort is a testament to hard work and a tenacious will to achieve your goal.

Congratulations, Fred

Thank you for the kind words, Fred! Your bubble jig really helped me with the grinding. If it wasn't for that I might be back where I was 8 months ago, scratching my head. Helped me with the learning curve tremendously.

Thank you for the kind words, Fred! Your bubble jig really helped me with the grinding. If it wasn't for that I might be back where I was 8 months ago, scratching my head. Helped me with the learning curve tremendously.
I agree its a useful tool but ultimately its
in the hands of the man at the grinder. I look forward to seeing what you make.

Fred

Back