2013 Knife Making Progress

Nice set up and progress. Just a 'heads up', I was recently advised by a very knowledgeable person that one should take care not to have your pets around when grinding micarta due to it's dust toxicity (and possibly other materials like acetones etc.). Toxic impairment and kidney problems are often related. Be careful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxicity

Last edited:
Steven,
Your knives are coming along great! I also like the new design in the bottom picture.
A fine looking little worker.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Thank you Laurence! I think the inspiration for that design came from Mikey DeBartolo and J. Doyle's work.

Nice set up and progress. Just a 'heads up', I was recently advised by a very knowledgeable person that one should take care not to have your pets around when grinding micarta due to it's dust toxicity (and possibly other materials like acetones etc.). Toxic impairment and kidney problems are often related. Be careful.

Thank you GWF. Until very recently, my shop was out in the shed and my dog was never let in there because of the reasons you stated. Interesting that it causes kidney problems though. It makes me a little nervous now since the shop is in the house. He is still not aloud in there either but I know 100% of the materials are not staying in that room. I do keep it as clean as possible.

Thanks for the heads up!

Got a little progress done today. I started on two new Kepharts, the big one that I had screwed up and also on its companion. I ground all of the edges way too thin on the last batch and instead of sending out a knife that I am not happy with, I am going to redo them. They are definitely salvageable but will not be the original design that was requested or that I was after. Lesson learned! I went back and watched all of my knife making videos and found a bunch of helpful websites which should improve my grinding. Once I get this batch heat treated, I am going to start fixing the others.

There are seven in this batch. Five are going to new homes and two are prototypes to be tested.

All have been profiled and holes drilled...

Here they are with the hardware holes drilled and marked to aid in keeping the weight reducing holes somewhat symmetrical...

2013Progress001_zps300f5c5a.jpg

2013Progress002_zps1453827f.jpg

2013Progress003_zps4fb53ad2.jpg

Finished drilling...

2013Progress004_zpsb2fab62b.jpg

2013Progress005_zpse9e9ddab.jpg

Starting on the bevels tomorrow!

The late Mr. Bob Loveless talked about a doggie of his that died very young that he had a autopsy preformed on and the cause was Micarta dust from the shop.

It release's Formaldehyde when you grind it and will kill your dog and make you stupid! Look at any of the old sweet ladies that have been doing hair perms for 20 plus years? Formaldehyde! They talk a little slower and look a little embalmed and have the highest rates of Alzheimer's and other brain disorders of any occupation. Always wear your respirator and keep all pets away!

Remember that they, your pets breath the air at the bottom of the room where "Stuff" can hang down there for days.

I personally suffer from migraine headaches from time to time and found that even the slightest hint of Micarta dust is a trigger for a headache and haven't and won't use Micarta for about 10 years now.

Have fun and stay safe.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Last edited:
Looking good Steve.. Thats a good tip Laurence .. About the dogs breathing that stuff in and the " Stuff " hangin on the bottom for days.

The late Mr. Bob Loveless talked about a doggie of his that died very young that he had a autopsy preformed on and the cause was Micarta dust from the shop.

It release's Formaldehyde when you grind it and will kill your dog and make you stupid! Look at any of the old sweet ladies that have been doing hair perms for 20 plus years? Formaldehyde! They talk a little slower and look a little embalmed and have the highest rates of Alzheimer's and other brain disorders of any occupation. Always wear your respirator and keep all pets away!

Remember that they, your pets breath the air at the bottom of the room where "Stuff" can hang down there for days.

I personally suffer from migraine headaches from time to time and found that even the slightest hint of Micarta dust is a trigger for a headache and haven't and won't use Micarta for about 10 years now.

Have fun and stay safe.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Thanks for the tips Laurence. I really had no idea that micarta can be that bad. I knew it was bad, but not like that... I make sure to clean up the shop every night and not let my dog in there at all. Also, always wear a respirator most of the time in the shop, even when not grinding, unless I haven't kicked up any dust. The air filtration system works pretty good for the micarta and wood particles. Although the filter needs changing about once a week.

Looking good Steve.. Thats a good tip Laurence .. About the dogs breathing that stuff in and the " Stuff " hangin on the bottom for days.

Thanks Mikey!

Get them ground and come on out and we'llget the H/Ted.Looking good.
How is Cane?

Stan

Thanks Stan! Cane seems to be making a full recovery, thank goodness. All of his kidney levels have gone back to normal and he is acting like his self again. I am very happy!

Are you busy this weekend or the next? I really appreciate you helping me out with the heat treat and everything else you have done. I will give you a call around 5 or 6 today.

Got some grinding done yesterday. Feeling a lot more comfortable at the grinder.

Marking my center lines...

2013Progress001_zps3dd0a2f3.jpg

2013Progress007_zps96bb06fa.jpg

2013Progress008_zpsf3016869.jpg

Three with their rough grinds complete...

2013Progress009_zpsa401776a.jpg

2013Progress010_zps3a8d0544.jpg

Good to hear on Cane,gonna be free all the weekend,busy next Saturday.Yep give me a call and we'll work it out.

Stan

Got some more work done on the new batch. I am starting to feel confident enough to try and fix all of the others that have gotten back from heat treat.

2013Progress002_zpse3649a7c.jpg

It has been a while but here is one that I just finished up tonight. I had a nice hand rubbed finish on it but screwed up my makers mark and had to grind the ugliness away. The mark looks better but still not up to par. Need more practice.

This is number four...

KephartWIP035_zps89595945.jpg

KephartWIP036_zps6bbb4600.jpg

KephartWIP037_zps9a390fc3.jpg

KephartWIP040_zps5db1cf52.jpg

Let me know what you guys think.

Steven,
They are coming along great. Now that you are getting things together trying sculpting your handles or blades a little more for that Steven Long look.

Work on developing your own style and flair. here is a example of one of my culinary knives.RhinoChop440CBlackpalm_zps29835a5f.jpg

This may be a little extreme for showing a style, I am trying to show you and help you develop so that some day I and others can look at one of yours and say.

Yep! That's a Steven Long knife!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Wow, #4! Holy smokes!

You've got a clean execution in fit and finish, no nonsense design, which all work together to a solid looking knife. You've even flared the thong tubing, which is a nice touch. If you do the next batch all like that, I think you'll sell them just fine, with an equally well executed sheath.

Laurence is pushing you to next level thinking, which your skill level can easily handle. Little things like a tapered tang, signature filework, or a unique handle detail will bump it up, and raise your selling price I'm guessing.

I'm far behind you in skill, and I've made several more knives, so I'm not speaking out of mastery by any means. I think the key is to get to the point where someone can tell its one of yours without seeing the mark, like a loveless, randall or some of our fellow KDs like Bump, Coye and Laurence himself. That takes a unique but easily discernible detail, and its hard to do that when there are so many awesome makers out there.

Thank you so much for the comments, guys. I apologize for not responding earlier.

This knife should have been #4 but it became #5. Just need to clean up the bevels, sharpen it and etch my mark...

2013Progress006_zps11061cc5.jpg

2013Progress001_zps0b9828a1.jpg

2013Progress003_zpsb65037dc.jpg

2013Progress005_zps3b0ecb39.jpg

Awesome work guy! I started my own thread like yours. Hopefully I can start to crank out some sweet blades like you are. I like what I'm seeing. Keep it up.

Back