What's going on in your shop?

I think it's been at least a month since I've been in the shop. Finally got in there tonight briefly and have a question about drilling material on an angle.

I didn't have a shortwe 5/32 for drilling as shown in the image. As a result the drill bit was flexing a bit. To prevent that I used a popsicle stick as shown to get it started where I wanted.

Is this kosher? It worked, but it seems like a pretty unreliable work-around for this. Any better way to do this?

I would try using a smaller bit to make a drill start perpendicular to the piece with the idea of creating a "pocket" for the larger bit to sit in. In theory that would keep your bit in position for the final hole and the "start" would be cleaned up with the final size. There's probably a more precise way, but that's what came to mind first.

I think it's been at least a month since I've been in the shop. Finally got in there tonight briefly and have a question about drilling material on an angle.

I didn't have a shortwe 5/32 for drilling as shown in the image. As a result the drill bit was flexing a bit. To prevent that I used a popsicle stick as shown to get it started where I wanted.

Is this kosher? It worked, but it seems like a pretty unreliable work-around for this. Any better way to do this?
If this is something you do or are going to do often, get on McMaster carr and get an 1/8" center cutting end mill and just plunge it in until you get a flat spot. A 90* carbide burr with a fluted face works too. Probably not much price difference.

Spent some time trying to teach my self to forge, I have not done all that much and decided I really need to work on just basic skills so made a few blacksmith mini knives, hooks and a fire poker. I enjoyed making the hooks and fire poker better then the knives I felt I struggled to get the shapes I wanted....guess that's what grinders are for.
k2Mmxqs.jpg

SMQqX66.jpg

97dnCsz.jpg

Close it was actually $12 :rolleyes: I swear.

On a serious note I actually got an excellent deal on it. They retail for $350. I got mine for $220 on a 'scratch and dent' sale. There was some damage to one of the air filter housings that I was able to fix with JB Weld and all is good.
Just explain to her that you would actually be LOSING money passing up that deal!

Back