What's going on in your shop?

I finished the frame handle Bowie without screwing it up too badly. Lots of fit and finish bits that could have gone better. Quite a challenge and a great learning experience. The next one will be better. On to making the sheath. There are more pics in my gallery for those interested in seeing more.

View attachment 77912
good looking knife, what is the overall length?

the grinder kit project is moving along.
the concept is to use our CNC plasma table to cut out grinder parts. They will fit together using tab and slot and then welded.

I have an Uber grinder with pneumatic tension and really like it so I am adding that. I need to find a source for gas type rods also for those that don’t want pneumatic.

it will go sideways also.

Last edited:
the concept is to use our CNC plasma table to cut out grinder parts. They will fit together using tab and slot and then welded.

I have an Uber grinder with pneumatic tension and really like it so I am adding that. I need to find a source for gas type rods also for those that don’t want pneumatic.

McMaster-Carr used to be my go to for gas springs.

Interesting kit idea. I like the handle location & position. But IMHO, use of a pneumatic piston seems like a questionable feature without much benefit. I would not buy a grinder with any kind of gas piston tensioning, the grinding environment is not a place for that type of close tolerance product. I much prefer a spring for simplicity and durability. With a spring slack belt tension can easily be adjusted by simply changing the tool arm position.

Interesting kit idea. I like the handle location & position. But IMHO, use of a pneumatic piston seems like a questionable feature without much benefit. I would not buy a grinder with any kind of gas piston tensioning, the grinding environment is not a place for that type of close tolerance product. I much prefer a spring for simplicity and durability. With a spring slack belt tension can easily be adjusted by simply changing the tool arm position.
I hear ya….we have an Uber grinder here in the shop that uses pneumatic and we always have the compressor on so the air thing isn‘t an issue. I didn’t care for the concept myself when we got it but the more I use it the more I like it. I will also have a gas spring option, I just haven’t got that far yet.

Going to try my hand at a couple liner locks. Already have one flaw in the design but these are prototypes. One for me one for wife. All I had was 8670 steel laying around that I can heat treat so not sure how this will turn out or if it will survive the heat treat.
j0FwIa0.jpg

Finished these 2! Top one is S35VN and the bottom one is Elmax. Both are from 3/32" stock, so they are slicey lightweight knives. I used the Felt platen on these after flat grinding them on a ceramic glass platen, which washed out the plunges a bit, so I completely blended the plunges in.
BUK LUK.jpg

Lil hunter in D2, full flat grind. Gotta do some refining of the profile and handle shape, but I tend to like a handle that is a little taller spine to edge wise.
Lil Hunter.jpg

So I've finally been able to play around with some canisters, and here's the first KSO out of my 2nd can:
View attachment 78261
Steels are 1084 powder from Kelly Cupples, 1080 powder w/2% nickel and 1080 w/4% nickel from Jantz.
BillyO, I like the looks of that pattern. You mention the powder you used, is there anything other than the powder? The different levels of Nickel gives it the pattern?

Back