What's going on in your shop?

And I found the colouring as well as styling to be particularly attractive. Just when something extra special and simplistic comes along --- dang it.
Frank

just returned from trip. two new additions to my shop, a carbolite tube furnace(heated area 2 3/8"x 21") and a lindberg lab furnace (heated area 14"x7"x5"). both furnaces have a max temp of 2200F.

Making myself a knife, finally. Edc friction folder. Black micarta, copper, green g10 liner.

3b293f35ccc5fb7a4a7e56c6c53f3ed0.jpg

Well they aren't nearly as cool as Play Dohmascus, but here are a couple I've been working on that are finally finished now that the sheaths are done.
My take on the Shrade Sharpfinger and my first time with this style of sheath.
iZB5fu1.jpg

bciu5Fd.jpg

OMkSruZ.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Chris

Well they aren't nearly as cool as Play Dohmascus, but here are a couple I've been working on that are finally finished now that the sheaths are done.
iZB5fu1.jpg

bciu5Fd.jpg

OMkSruZ.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Chris
Those look fantastic!

I got a few knives going on right now but the main thing I'm starting to focus on is this frame lock.
I got everything rough cut out yesterday. Now I need to profile it all.

I know that titanium sparks like crazy but I don't have variable speed is there any problem with it sparking? I know if you get dust build up on your work rest it can catch fire. I'm just thinking I'm gonna have to have a light touch and take it slow, dunk often.

Hey now! I want to see it real time, even you have a mess up. I learn best from the things I mess up, but I'd prefer to learn from things someone else messes up! :biggrin:

Justin, I usually do titanium full speed and I do have a VS If you don't seem to be cutting its probably that the belt is had. Often you will see the silver dots on the belt which is melted titanium. I recommend leaving any exhaust down.
Frank

iZB5fu1.jpg

bciu5Fd.jpg

OMkSruZ.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Chris

Chris,
I love the sheaths on these, but have one question. Where do you attach the belt loop on these? I made a similar sheath, and had the belt loop integrated into the top portion, but it makes the knife hang sort of twisted at a bit of angle away from my hip.

IMG_20150629_122337_386.jpgIMG_20150629_122404_722.jpg

-Thanks,
Aaron

Thanks Aaron! I did mine similar to yours, save I used separate pieces of leather for the strap and loop. It's purely personnel preference but I dislike having the flesh side exposed on the folded over loop.
TZvCqMh.jpg

I've not worn these to see if they have the same issues as you mentioned. I guess I need some field testing!

Chris

Justin, I usually do titanium full speed and I do have a VS If you don't seem to be cutting its probably that the belt is had. Often you will see the silver dots on the belt which is melted titanium. I recommend leaving any exhaust down.
Frank
Thanks Frank, yeah I think I melted some on the 60 grit..lol

I was off the last few days so got to spend some time working on knives.

Here is a glimpse of my first forged knife I'm working on. I'm completely unsatisfied with the handle I rushed it because the anvil I use is at work and I was going to be off and wanted to grind and HT it, it was dumb but I got to that point and said screw it now I'm mad at myself but oh well its just steel :) I'm pretty happy with the blade though, this is pre HT grinds.

I spent most of yesterday working on the framelock...ugh you folder guys...hats off to you. My brain hurts trying to think of all the steps and not jeck it up.

That's a nice one, Justin. I have no doubt that it will look great when you get it finished. And don't give up on that framelock. We'll make a folder guy out of you yet.

Back