What's going on in your shop?

Hell yeah! I'm going to try it. ....and not just because my arms are falling off from hand sanding....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After spending some time tooling up for it, I made my first attempts at Kydex last weekend.
Here are some sheaths in various stages of completion... carbon fiber Kydex in front, black in back. :thumbup:

18323254048_b4c3f47f95_c.jpg

Erin

Erin, love the handle wraps. *I know there's a Japanese name for it, but I don't know what it is. What goes on the tang under the wraps? How is something like that constructed?

1084 blades and textured G10 handles. Been working on these for a few weeks now. About ready for delivery finally!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 37
Erin, love the handle wraps. *I know there's a Japanese name for it, but I don't know what it is. What goes on the tang under the wraps? How is something like that constructed?

Hey John... thanks for the question. The Japanese term for handle wrapping is tsukamaki. A traditional handle would be built around a wood (Honoki) core covered in ray skin, and wrapped with silk cord (ito). These knives are very non-traditional. Each has a small accent piece of wood inset into a milled frame... then bare tang is wrapped with 550 cord. Here's another photo that I took last night.
Erin

18638388626_c56b2337f9_b.jpg

I didn't even recognize that as 550 cord. Did you remove the core strands so that the shell would lie flat like that? That really looks beautiful. Very well done.

Thanks a bunch for answering and sharing your techniques.

Today I spent a little time playing with play-doh with my 3 and 5 year old boys.

I showed them how to 'forge' a twist damascus bowie with red and white play-doh. And no, I'm not going to make a handle and fittings. :) ;)

Today I spent a little time playing with play-doh with my 3 and 5 year old boys.

I showed them how to 'forge' a twist damascus bowie with red and white play-doh. And no, I'm not going to make a handle and fittings. :) ;)

Oh come on now you are just showing off, even your dang play dough knives look good...lol
Good times with the kids, I have a 3 year old that is alot of fun right now.

Oh this is going to get good.

1. I think you should finish this knife.
2. How do you heat treat play-doh?
3. What is the RC on your play-doh damascus.
4. Can you make it with other colors?
5. Does Hasbro know you are doing this?

Feel free to add your own. Best laugh I had today. Thank you John.

DeMo

My kids heat treat it by leaving it on the carpet in direct sunlight. Some warping is to be expected, but they don't seem to mind.

The Rc varies, but often I have noticed that carbides fall out in the form of Lego pieces, at night time. They can't be seen, only felt with the soles of your bare feet. Usually they roll as you step on them, confirming that the sharp corners are evenly dispersed.

My kids heat treat it by leaving it on the carpet in direct sunlight. Some warping is to be expected, but they don't seem to mind.

The Rc varies, but often I have noticed that carbides fall out in the form of Lego pieces, at night time. They can't be seen, only felt with the soles of your bare feet. Usually they roll as you step on them, confirming that the sharp corners are evenly dispersed.

Now that's funny, John! You and I must live in the same house.

You guys are too much fun.

I baked the play-doh knife out in the sun at 400F. Or at least it felt like 400 F. while I was planting the garden. It got plenty hard. Seemed pretty brittle though.

I did make another this morning (at the boys' request) in blue/green and the pattern turned out a lot better but I've been informed by the Hasbro legal team that I cannot post any more photos. :D

You guys are too much fun.

I baked the play-doh knife out in the sun at 400F. Or at least it felt like 400 F. while I was planting the garden. It got plenty hard. Seemed pretty brittle though.

I did make another this morning (at the boys' request) in blue/green and the pattern turned out a lot better but I've been informed by the Hasbro legal team that I cannot post any more photos. :D
Blasted legalities.

Back