What's going on in your shop?

I feel like I got more going on then you can shake a stick at...lol. I'm doing a little bit of everything right now, I'm still so new and there is so much I want to try so I'm taking my time to get my feet wet.
First up I went over to JPSworks (John) house over the weekend and heat treated a couple blades, a first for me I have sent everything out before...thanks again John for letting me use the oven.
Couple new styles in AEB-L

I started on my first framelock. Working on my plexiglass template to get a feel for everything and how it's going to line up.

Next I fired up the forge and started my first knife. 1084 steel that I'm attempting to make what I really don't know what they are called but maybe a blacksmith knife where the tang wraps back around to form the handle and guard. The profile is looking nothing like what I drew up LOL but oh well I'm learning and just trying to figure it all out.

Alot of new stuff and I'm sure I will make alot of mistakes but that is how ya learn right!!

All that plus a baby in the house! Looking forward to the frame lock. You should make a WIP and let us follow along on that one.

All that plus a baby in the house! Looking forward to the frame lock. You should make a WIP and let us follow along on that one.
I know right, last knife I sold I took some cash and got moma a gift card for a manicure and pedicure first money I have spent from selling knives that didn't go right back into material or tools.
I would like to do a wip I might try but we will see.

That's all fun stuff. I haven't made any folders except friction folders. I would like to try one sometime
You nees to Chris I bet it would be good. I'm completely not set up to do folders but what I lack in knowledge and machines I make up for stubbornness and elbow grease.
Oh I also contacted Rick about my logo and he is hooking me up. Nice guy and only lives about 45 minutes from me. I will share when it's done.

You're welcome Justin. Can't wait to see how the knives turn out.

I feel like I got more going on then you can shake a stick at...lol. I'm doing a little bit of everything right now, I'm still so new and there is so much I want to try so I'm taking my time to get my feet wet.
First up I went over to JPSworks (John) house over the weekend and heat treated a couple blades, a first for me I have sent everything out before...thanks again John for letting me use the oven.
Couple new styles in AEB-L

I started on my first framelock. Working on my plexiglass template to get a feel for everything and how it's going to line up.

Next I fired up the forge and started my first knife. 1084 steel that I'm attempting to make what I really don't know what they are called but maybe a blacksmith knife where the tang wraps back around to form the handle and guard. The profile is looking nothing like what I drew up LOL but oh well I'm learning and just trying to figure it all out.

Alot of new stuff and I'm sure I will make alot of mistakes but that is how ya learn right!!

Great stuff Guys!
Here's my latest chef(petty) in AEB-L first time using this steel but am very impressed:
411339316.jpg

Beautiful! I haven't been doing plunge lines on my culinary knives, but seeing yours makes me really like the idea.

Yes I like the plunge lines I figure they are just another outlet to show you skills and adds another dimension to the knife
Just finished this chef knife in AEB-L heat treated by Peters(Nice steel :thumbup:) Right handed pretty big chef knife with about a 8 1/2" blade and 2 1/4" width(I think)
411358608.jpg

411358624.jpg

really nice piece of Koa from J.Doyle(it's hard to show it off well)
411358623.jpg

411358622.jpg

Thin tapered blade:
411358611.jpg

411358609.jpg

and working on a 52100 blade (new logo on this one)
411358612.jpg

DR....

Your designs are very fresh. Very eye catching. And those bold spacers really pop.

My designs are very traditional. Like I said, I take knives I like and tweak them where I feel they need to be tweaked.

3f618aa4a80a0908f102741089138bac.jpg

Here's a few I just did. The slicer/petty is another one I've made similar to one you've seen and a Hunter that I do a lot of.

They are dirty- this pic is in the handle finishing stage.

Both also sporting J Doyle Koa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I wanted to stonewash a couple knives but have not built or bought a tumbler, so I went to harbor freight and got some media and the container it comes in has a large opening so I decided to try it manually.
Etched in ferric chloride then sprayed in wd40 and tossed it in and manually tumbled for about 3-4 minutes I think it looks pretty cool. The container will only take about a 7" knife but it works!

Looks great, Justin. That's using the old thinker. I'm always amazed at how the folks on this forum come up with simple, low-cost ways to get things done. Great job.

Here's a peak at what's on my workbench. I'm building two folding knives at the same time. They are both from the same design, but should look completely different when they are done. The top knife gets front and rear bolsters and mammoth ivory scales and the lower gets textured titanium with a lanyard. The top knife is a little more traditional like I usually build where the bottom is one I'm experimenting with. It should be fun to see how they each turn out in the end.

SANY4022.JPG

I've been doing a complete WIP of these builds on my blog if you want to stop by and take a look. Address is below in my signature.

After spending some time tooling up for it, I made my first attempts at Kydex last weekend.
Here are some sheaths in various stages of completion... carbon fiber Kydex in front, black in back. :thumbup:

18323254048_b4c3f47f95_c.jpg

Erin

I wanted to stonewash a couple knives but have not built or bought a tumbler, so I went to harbor freight and got some media and the container it comes in has a large opening so I decided to try it manually.
Etched in ferric chloride then sprayed in wd40 and tossed it in and manually tumbled for about 3-4 minutes I think it looks pretty cool. The container will only take about a 7" knife but it works!

That's freaking genius. It looks really good to me.

Has anyone tried stone washing CPM154 or AEB-L?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^Thats a great idea for those who want to just try it(Funny I have never heard of someone just doing it by hand)

Back