What's going on in your shop?

Working on a new project! Customer wanted something where the handle and sheath matched and looks like one piece. Using magnets to hold the blade in too is another first for me!

Magnacut blade, 3.5" long, hand rubbed to 600 so far. Going to do the final clean up and pointing after the sheath is done
mc5.jpgmc4.jpg

Gotta reduce the finger guard a bit still, but I started getting the sheath pieces done:

mc3.jpg

Got the spacer to fit tight to the ricasso of the blade. I left a longer ricasso so the magnets have more surface area to attract to.

mc2.jpg

And started milling the pocket to epoxy the magnets in to. One side went well, the other side, not so much! Gotta remake one of the saya scales and re mill! I am using my drill press with a machinist cross slide vise clamped to the table, but I guess I didn't have the drill press table tightened down enough!
mc1.jpg

Just need to apply a couple more coats of finish and etch the logo and stuff, do the final sharpening!

3.5" Magnacut Drop Point, hand rub satin finish, Natural Canvas Micarta, Red G10 and Black G10 handle and saya. Saya has 2 rare earth magnets in each side panel and it's a tight friction fit, too. Guy wanted the handle and saya to match and well rounded to wear in his waist band when doing yardwork. The handle shape is super comfy, too. Going to do more hidden tangs with this shape handle!!
MWWS5.jpgMWWS4.jpgMWWS3.jpgMWWS2.jpgMWWS1.jpg

Chris - is that handle Buckeye Burl? That's what it makes me think of, and WOW - that's a knockout piece of wood. The whole knife looks good, but I really like that handle. Good job.

Chris - is that handle Buckeye Burl? That's what it makes me think of, and WOW - that's a knockout piece of wood. The whole knife looks good, but I really like that handle. Good job.

It is Buckeye Burl! I'm from Ohio and I was making this one for myself. It is a beautiful piece of wood.

Opaul... something that caught my eye is the can of Varathane Wood Hardener sitting in the background of this photo. When and how do you use it?
BTW - pretty cleaver spring compression setup!
Thank you! I’ve got my eye out for a valve spring but until I get one this spring works great, easy to use in combo with the vise.
I used the wood hardener on some soft leather washers - it works really well. I suspect it would work just fine on antler pith as well.

Thank you! I’ve got my eye out for a valve spring but until I get one this spring works great, easy to use in combo with the vise.
I used the wood hardener on some soft leather washers - it works really well. I suspect it would work just fine on antler pith as well.
I’ve bought individual valve springs at NAPA. Your local auto parts store probably has some. I think one was about $10 or so.

I finished this one up yesterday for Blade Show Texas...cpm154 2 blade trapper in red stag
1fdb7c239037b0b08a454b9d02921a2b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Back