What's going on in your shop?

Thanks folks! I went and took a look...... I was thinking it might be a great option for my EBKs..... but looks like it's a "block" product...... I need 1/8" sheets for the EBK handles. RATS! Doesn't mean I might not have to do a few hunter with it though!! :)

Thanks folks! I went and took a look...... I was thinking it might be a great option for my EBKs..... but looks like it's a "block" product...... I need 1/8" sheets for the EBK handles. RATS! Doesn't mean I might not have to do a few hunter with it though!! :)
He sells in all sizes and I'm sure he would make whatever you need. I've always had good service from him.

Beautiful! I have some of the same micarta and would love to get the same finish. Would you mind if I ask how you got that finish?
It’s so tuff it can be a challenge to get a good finish. I’m still experimenting with it but it seems to be getting better. Sand to 1000 grit sometimes it takes 1200 grit. I put it in a jar of teak oil and soak overnight. Clean and then buff with denim. A good long strip of blue jeans and “shoe shine” buff it vigorously to build some heat. It won’t take a high shine but will be very dull otherwise. One problem I ran into were white specks. Might be sanding residue getting down in the pores. Only way I could fix it was with a very thin layer of super glue. I sanded all the glue off but it filled the pores.
A4FB220C-CD68-4F60-B92B-A5BF735E1A9B.jpeg
Bad thing is I have a guy that wants to order four knives with this material. I’m gonna try and talk him into something else. :)

Time to start the hand sanding. Ugh!!

F090-AF3-B-F118-417-D-B111-1-F8917-A403-CC.jpg

Back