Shop picture thread.

Nathan don't go buy a forge!! We can make you one real easy for one fith of the cost. Infact if you would like to get together we can do it in a day. Don helped me with my first and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Let me know if you would like to.

OK now you have to post pics so we can see how you did it. If you don't mind.

All these clean shops.. HA!

My messy shop:

My knifemakeing area:

shop1.jpg

Looking down into the machining area (yes, the main lights are off - but it isn't much brighter with the lights on):

shop2.jpg

My shop is pretty full, and fuller now since these were taken.Since I was layed off I now have two more large rollaway toolboxes.I have to go tool shopping with a tape, to see if I can fit it in.Dave:)

shop2.jpg

shop3.jpg

shop4.jpg

shop5.jpg

shop6.jpg

shop11.jpg

here's a few more of my shop

Attachments

• 122a 005 (600 x 451).jpg
    122a 005 (600 x 451).jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 122a 007 (600 x 451).jpg
    122a 007 (600 x 451).jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 114
My shop is pretty full, and fuller now since these were taken.Since I was layed off I now have two more large rollaway toolboxes.I have to go tool shopping with a tape, to see if I can fit it in.Dave:)

Dave
I can't make out the two blue wheels back by the overhead doors, are they disc grinders?
At least your shop looks used. nice shop.
Art

Thanks Art, yep that is a dual disc setup I made many years ago.Dave:)

fe56b611.jpg

You guys have some nice places to work! Jeff, your shop is way too clean though - and too roomy! :D Lucky guy.

My shop pictures are all about five years old. Things have changed since these were taken, and I apologize for the lame pics. I can never get a shot of the whole place because it's pretty close in there, so I just took pictures of the work benches and tools. One of these days I'll update these pages... Really!

Work Benches

Grinder Bench

Some of my shop-built tools

Quench Tank Build

Here's my quench tank. It's fully self-contained. I'm pretty proud of it. :)

7FinalTest01.jpg

This is the main work area,in another room there is a metal cut bandsaw and my paragon heat treat oven.I also have a air compressor and a blast cabinet.That pretty much sums it up.

Last edited:
Here's my quench tank. It's fully self-contained. I'm pretty proud of it. :)

7FinalTest01.jpg

Hey Dave,

How's the quench tank holding up? How long have you had it in service?

I've got an ammo can that exact size I might be doing something with if I like your answers :D

Mike

Jeff and Mike, thanks for your comments about my quench tank. Mike, I've quenched in it three times now; it's been in service for about four months. (It's clear that I've been pretty lazy! :))

So far, it's an ideal solution to my "quench quest." The thermostat on the heating element is the critical part of the whole thing, and it really works well. I think I paid something like $80 for it and do not regret the expense at all. Currently I'm quenching at 120F. It will heat the oil from ambient, about 70F, to 120 in about 15 minutes and hold it there indefinately.

The most I've quenched in one session was three knives, but there's sufficient oil in the tank (about 7 gal) that it did not heat up substantially. I think it got to 125 or so quenching the three 'typical' sized knives. Circulating the oil helps with keeping the oil at an even temp, which is what I was hoping for. Originally I thought the pump might be a little light, but it actually seems to be doing a very good job. I'm really pleased with the whole thing.

One nice thing about it is being able to seal the lid. My shop is pretty crowded, so I just shove the tank under my table saw when I'm not using it, and it's out of the way and the oil protected from dust and other crap that might get in it.

The hardest part about the project was getting the Houghton Quench G. Finally the local rep took pity on me and ordered it to his home for me to pick up.

As to whether it will last years ... that I can't say. So far it doesn't give any indication of failure. But if anything does go, and I think the most likely part would be the lightweight pump, repairs should be fairly straightforward. The build was really pretty easy compared to a lot of the things we do. ;)

Heres my disaster!

I figured I would post these to make you guys feel better about your shops!
anvil.JPG
I hate the steel stand but it is the only mobile anvil I have seen.
forge.JPG
I built this forge from scratch because I wanted to teach steel a lesson!
grinder.JPG
Its no NWG but it is solid and works great
table saw.JPG
I love my table saw/bench/surface plate/every thing else
band saw.JPG
Other toys of mine

In my defense I am remodeling the garage to accommodate all my toys. Should be world class by the end of the century.2thumbs

I figured I would post these to make you guys feel better about your shops!
View attachment 1563
I hate the steel stand but it is the only mobile anvil I have seen.
View attachment 1565
I built this forge from scratch because I wanted to teach steel a lesson!
View attachment 1566
Its no NWG but it is solid and works great
View attachment 1567
I love my table saw/bench/surface plate/every thing else
View attachment 1564
Other toys of mine

In my defense I am remodeling the garage to accommodate all my toys. Should be world class by the end of the century.2thumbs

Sweet pictures...Did you build your belt grinder. It looks cool..

Back