Morland's KITH WIP

Dennis...on the lanyard fob I have used a machine screw through the hole with a nut and then chucked up in a drill motor...spin it on the belt grinder....I've had good results with it. perhaps you've already tried it.

Dennis...on the lanyard fob I have used a machine screw through the hole with a nut and then chucked up in a drill motor...spin it on the belt grinder....I've had good results with it. perhaps you've already tried it.

That is exactly how I have done it. I think there has to be a better way....

I got an hour or so in the shop tonight. Rough shaped to 80 grit. Lots of handsanding to go. John Doyle if you are following along, thank you for the redwood. It is going to be a killer handle. I did notice with all the sanding a pin is starting to show. I can fix that. Also a small crack just behind the bolster on the name side. I can fix that also. Keep moving forward.

Attachments

• 8E714451-9C80-4AD2-A25C-C959033C00C6.jpeg
    8E714451-9C80-4AD2-A25C-C959033C00C6.jpeg
    698.5 KB · Views: 26
  • E58250E4-19CC-4496-8DDC-B34ECC319F19.jpeg
    E58250E4-19CC-4496-8DDC-B34ECC319F19.jpeg
    641.1 KB · Views: 25
I have been eyeballing one for almost a year now, just can't find room for it in the shop.

That’s the beauty of it. It doesn’t need a “home” because it fits on a shelf or under a workbench when you aren’t using it, so it doesn’t take up any more space than that. You only need to take it out when you have to use it.

A lathe is more "accurate" in that you can indicate the bore...(I have a lathe) BUT...for gettin' 'er dun...hard to beat the drill motor and as you know....keeping id/od concentricity is all skill...which can be fun at times....

That knife is looking terrific!

A little pen turning lathe is way simpler than you’re thinking. (Darn machinists....). To do it on a pen lathe you would drill the bore of the fob on a drill press, willy nilly, and then put it on the pen mandrel. A pen mandrel is a bore rod with a compression nut. Center makes no difference. You slide the block on the mandrel and snug it up with the compression nut, bring your tail stock in to the mandrel end as a dead center and let ‘er whirl. The work can turn eccentric to the bore because it’s wood- ten seconds with a turning chisel and she’s round. Then you can make it whatever shape with whatever embellishments you like.

I’m having visions of you chucking up a tiny chunk of wood in a 4-jaw and indicating it to .001 LOL.

Back