Morland's KITH WIP

Oh and in place of a hair knife, use an exacto blade and a straight edge ruler. Just space the small thin cuts about 1/32" apart. Quil to outside of the feather. Then go back and fill in with some random straight scuffing cuts. It certainly adds that. "Something".

Thank you Vombrown. I am still not completely understanding what a backgrounder tool is exactly. I have maybe 30-40 tools. I will look more in depth when I get home. I do have an exacto knife. I may try that technique and then just beveling the outside of the feather to see what it looks like. The good thing is the feather is only 3.5 inches long by 1 inch wide. I have lots of smaller scrap pieces to practice different techniques on before I try it on a sheath. Later I will try some more coloring techniques on the practice attempts.

Attempt No. 10 and thereafter coming up.

I just want to be able to not suck at a feather to try it on a sheath. We shall see. Carving leather is harder than it appears on Youtube!

Don't fall into the trap of feeling required to use a specific tool for a specific job. Use the tools you have in creative ways. Tooling takes tons and tons of trial and error practice. Don't get discouraged. PM me here if you want and I will try and help a little more if I can.

With tooling on sheaths, a little goes a long way. here's another example. Simple tooling gives a dramatic effect.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
Vonbrown - Sheath making I can complete. I can tool. And I agree, little things make a big difference. I like different and try different tooling patterns all the time. Here are a couple of sheaths that I have made. Tooling is not the problem for me.

Carving even a simple feather - Now, that is a problem! I just started trying to carve and it is way different than tooling. I'll get it eventually. Just need more practice and a bit more knowledge.

Thanks for your help.

DSC04710.jpg

DSC04851.jpg

DSC05346.jpg

DSC05460.jpg

That knife is looking better and better, simply gorgeous!
One thing's for sure, once you get that feather the way you want it, you will own that process.

Kev - That is awesome. Did you watch a YouTube video for guidance? That looks just like one of the examples that I watched. One of the problems I have encountered is my feather can only be about 3.5 x 1 inch long. Smaller is more difficult. I wish I could make it 8x2 inches long. But, it would not fit on the sheath. If that was your first attempt- you did great. You got talent.

No, I didn’t watch any videos. I just freehanded the feather onto the leather with a soft lead pencil.
I haven’t done much carving, that’s like my third try, but I did inherit a 1/4” angled swivel knife blade, and I have noticed that it makes smaller carvings WAYYY easier, than trying to do it with a 1/2” knife.
One thing I do, I don’t know if it’s common or not, I’ll draw a template of the area I have to work with and copy a bunch of them onto a piece of paper. Then I can work through different layouts and things before I get to the leather.

Time to work on the lanyard fob. You can see I epoxied a brass tube down the center of the remaining redwood. I will work off of it. Hopefully it will be centered to that tube. I do not have a mill and I make these with my grinder and drill press.

Attachments

• 52CE8341-0880-414E-AFF8-5CA855FFC34E.jpeg
    52CE8341-0880-414E-AFF8-5CA855FFC34E.jpeg
    607.7 KB · Views: 3
What are you using for a sanding stick. It makes a difference.
I'm using a variation of what you Von and others mentioned. But will take the suggestions, too. Thanks all.

That feather is turning out nice. I actually had a carving project I had thought of doing, back about the time I got into knifemaking. The project was an eagle into some moose antler but haven't even attempted it yet b/c of all...those...feathers....

Back