GeneK's KITH WIP

Gene Kimmi

KNIFE MAKER
With several already started on their KITH knife, I figured I better get going on mine. I think I may have decided on what I'm going to make.

These are a couple that I would call my style. The top is my EDC model. The midddle is my biggest seller, a gut hook knife. The bottom one is a new design i'm trying out, a gut hook with more of a guard and redesigned handle.

I considered making one of these with a checkered inlay handle, but wasn't sure how many would use a gut hook knife.

Since I finished the San Mai knife, I have had this design floating around in my head, so I sat down tonight and drew it up.

Since opaul (Thanks for running this!) brought up the idea of a KITH, I've been thinking I wanted to make a forged hidden tang for it. I think there are a few things that will challenge me on this. I've finished one hamon and the spacer will be my first, which I might put flutes in. I plan to make an heirloom fit on the handle, which will be my first. And I will incorporate a checkered cap over the threaded tang nut.

Any thoughts on this design?

Any input on handle material? The curly koa is not pictured as I just sent it in to K&G.

All nice. I like both styles and i’m sure the hunters would like the gut hook. Curly Koa is hard to beat and would look really nice on which ever blade you mout them on.

The hidden tang is fine as wine... I can’t lie! All beautiful, but that one is gorgeous. I do understand that it’s probably 50 times the work, though.

With several already started on their KITH knife, I figured I better get going on mine. I think I may have decided on what I'm going to make.

These are a couple that I would call my style. The top is my EDC model. The midddle is my biggest seller, a gut hook knife. The bottom one is a new design i'm trying out, a gut hook with more of a guard and redesigned handle.

I considered making one of these with a checkered inlay handle, but wasn't sure how many would use a gut hook knife.

Since I finished the San Mai knife, I have had this design floating around in my head, so I sat down tonight and drew it up.

Since opaul (Thanks for running this!) brought up the idea of a KITH, I've been thinking I wanted to make a forged hidden tang for it. I think there are a few things that will challenge me on this. I've finished one hamon and the spacer will be my first, which I might put flutes in. I plan to make an heirloom fit on the handle, which will be my first. And I will incorporate a checkered cap over the threaded tang nut.

Any thoughts on this design?

Any input on handle material? The curly koa is not pictured as I just sent it in to K&G.

By the way, what is an heirloom fit? Second time I’ve heard it and have no clue what it means.

All nice. I like both styles and i’m sure the hunters would like the gut hook. Curly Koa is hard to beat and would look really nice on which ever blade you mout them on.
Being a hunter for near 60 years I have never used nor seen the use for a gut hook and dont know anybody here in NZ who has ever felt the need for one either.

The sketch is a good all round hunter although the top guard can get in the way in certain animal dressing operations.
My apolagies to Gene for the negative comments.

Kevin and Daniel, an heirloom fit is when the wood handle is a little larger that the spacer or guard it fits against. This is done so if the wood swells or shrinks, you can't feel the difference.

Von, no apologies necessary. I see a lot of makers say that about the gut hooks. After using one years ago, I'll never be without one. We've always butchered our own hogs, beef and deer and I've been helping do that since I was 12 or 13, so over 30 years. Some years we would butcher 20 - 30 for family and friends. I love the ease of splitting the skin and belly without cutting what shouldn't be cut.

On the guard, I could do a flat top guard if people would prefer it.

I keep getting asked to make a knife with a gut hook. I'd love to learn how to do that.

John, I'll see if I can get another blade out this weekend and do a WIP on how I make them. Once you get a good design that works well, they are easy to do. I would guess it takes 10 - 15 minutes plus final sharpening to do the gut hook.

Being a hunter for near 60 years I have never used nor seen the use for a gut hook and dont know anybody here in NZ who has ever felt the need for one either.

The sketch is a good all round hunter although the top guard can get in the way in certain animal dressing operations.
My apolagies to Gene for the negative comments.
I don't either garry....the guys in my area all LOVE them...The skinning knife I passed around had one consistent comment...you should put a gut hook in it...Lol. Even on my little cowboy knife they want a "twine hook" for opening those big round hay bales. I will experiment with that. So while i'm not a big gut hook fan....i think gene's top gut hook knife is my favorite. The lines seem beautiful to me and the gut hook looks nice in that one...actually both but I like that handle shape better. Nice Job Gene.

I have a $180.00 buck hunter with a gut hook(I cut my lunch with it in my office...it's never seen a deer...lol)...Gene's is a much cleaner design.

Gene, I like all of the designs that you have shown. You won't get any complaints out of me no matter what you choose to make. I've loved every knife you've posted here.

Ok I'm going to get killed for saying this but I like to use the guthook to slice the twine on round bales of hay. Makes it real easy.
LOL...just read this after I posted...the guys interested in my cowboy/ranch knife ALL ask about a twine hook. I'm thinking about making a fixture on the abrasive wheel chop-saw to add it as an option. The thought of violating that small spine is hard for me to get my head around...lol.

John, I'll see if I can get another blade out this weekend and do a WIP on how I make them. Once you get a good design that works well, they are easy to do. I would guess it takes 10 - 15 minutes plus final sharpening to do the gut hook.

I would appreciate the WIP for a gut hook too. I have had customers ask for it

Looks like there is enough interest in the gut hook knife so that's what I will make. I'll do a checkered inlay in the shape of the handle.

Tonight I cut the blank out, sanded the profile and flattened the faces.

To make sure the blank is flat, I use 2 magnets with handles and sand length ways on the platten.

This one came out pretty good with only .005" difference in thickness.

It will probably be Friday before I get back to it. I'll do the gut hook next, so for those interested in it, I will try to get plenty of photos and details on how I make it.

Looks like there is enough interest in the gut hook knife so that's what I will make. I'll do a checkered inlay in the shape of the handle.

Tonight I cut the blank out, sanded the profile and flattened the faces.

To make sure the blank is flat, I use 2 magnets with handles and sand length ways on the platten.

This one came out pretty good with only .005" difference in thickness.

It will probably be Friday before I get back to it. I'll do the gut hook next, so for those interested in it, I will try to get plenty of photos and details on how I make it.
Looks good! What kind of steel you using?

Back