GeneK's KITH WIP

The only problem I can see is that it will not be used as the risk of damaging that very fine work would make it a safe queen for most.

I got started on the sheath last night. I’ve made close to 20 of these knives, so I have a template for the sheath that I cut around.

Next, I mark a center line on the inside of the sheath and v-groove it. I cut 3 grooves, one on each side of the line and then one in the middle. I think this helps the sheath to fold better.

The next step is the prepping for the stitching of the belt strap. I groove for stitching, drill the holes with a 1/16” bit and fold it to the sheath and drill the holes in the body of the sheath.

After that, I cut a flap on the inside of the sheath where the stitching holes are. I will stitch under the flap then fold and glue the flap over the stitching to prevent the knife from cutting the stitches.

Next, I sand the inside of the sheath with a 400 grit belt on the sander to smooth it up.

Here I’ve grooved the front of he sheath for stitching, and marked out for stamping.

The stamping is done. If the dying goes right, the sheath will have the same theme as the checkered handle. I’m planning to get this sheath done today so we can all find out.

This one is almost done. I cut the welt for the sheath and tapered it on the sander. I do this so the welt has the same taper as the blade and the sheath fits better.

The welts are glued in place with contact cement.

Next, I drill the stitching holes on the mini mill. I use a 1/16" drill bit reversed, that I sharpened the shank of.

After staining the sheath, I stitch the loop down and glue the flap over the stitching.

Here it is after stitching.

And after sanding the edges on the sander.

On to forming the sheath. First, I wrap the knife in plastic and wet the sheath in hot water. I insert the knife and form the sheath to it. After a few minutes, I'll remove the knife and make sure it is dry. Now the sheath needs to dry. I usually wait 2 - 3 days with the sheath in front of a fan before I put a finish on the sheath.

First off!! amazing work!!
Second I am going to show my ignorance and ask what is up with all the KITH projects?? I'm sorry in advance.

First off!! amazing work!!
Second I am going to show my ignorance and ask what is up with all the KITH projects?? I'm sorry in advance.

KITH stands for knife in the hat. When one is started, those makers who want to participate put their name in and make a knife. At the deadline, names are drawn and everyone will send the knife they made to one of the other makers.

opaul was gracious enough to oversee this one and has a couple threads on how it will be run. One of the requirements is to do a WIP thread on the knife we are making.

KITH stands for knife in the hat. When one is started, those makers who want to participate put their name in and make a knife. At the deadline, names are drawn and everyone will send the knife they made to one of the other makers.

opaul was gracious enough to oversee this one and has a couple threads on how it will be run. One of the requirements is to do a WIP thread on the knife we are making.
Ok cool thank you

Not only is your knife a work of art, but the sheath is most excellent. You can really see that it is a matched set.

Back