GeneK's KITH WIP

great WIP.
There are a couple things you don't normally see in these, the gut hook and the inlay process.
I'm guessing you have some wood working experience?

Thanks everyone. I should have blades back from the engraver on Monday, then I can get the handles on and the inlays finished.

great WIP.
There are a couple things you don't normally see in these, the gut hook and the inlay process.
I'm guessing you have some wood working experience?

Thanks Tracy. I have a little experience at it.
I grew up at the family sawmill where we sawed and dried furniture grade lumber. I started a cabinet shop between my junior and senior year of high school. Worked at that part time for 10 years then went full time at it for the last 18+ years.

Tonight I had some time to work on the handle. First, I split the block into scales and flattened them on the disc grinder.

Drilling the countersink for the corby bolts.

The corby bolts are too long and won't tighten up on the handle. I had to grind the ends down so they would work.

Next, I drilled the holes in the handle so epoxy will contact both inlays, gluing them together.

From here, I put the handles on the blade and milled the heads of the corby bolts down so they will be hidden in the inlay.

After removing the scales, I inserted the inlays in them and and drilled the inlay to the depth needed for the head of the corby bolt.

The last step for the inlays to fit is to drill the hole with a flat bottom bit.

And they fit!

Most of these steps are covered in more detail in my first thread on checkered inlays.
https://knifedogs.com/threads/checkered-inlay.47407/

Wow, it’s going to be a beautiful knife!
101-18, is this the 101st knife of 2018? If it is, that’s a big number. I am soooo slow.

Thanks everyone. I had a little time today to get the fronts of the scales finished. I start by freehanding the shape on a 220 belt.

Then I go to the bench and "shoe shine" sand the fronts with 220, 400, 800 and 1200.

The last step is buffing them.

I'm going to try to get the handles all finished by Monday evening. No promises as I have 14 other knives on the bench. A couple of those have to be finished in the next week.

Thanks everyone. I had a little time today to get the fronts of the scales finished. I start by freehanding the shape on a 220 belt.

Then I go to the bench and "shoe shine" sand the fronts with 220, 400, 800 and 1200.

The last step is buffing them.

I'm going to try to get the handles all finished by Monday evening. No promises as I have 14 other knives on the bench. A couple of those have to be finished in the next week.

Now that a pretty sight!

Today I got the scales glued on along with a couple more. I should have time Monday to prep the inlays and shape the handle.

On to shaping the handle. Most of these steps have to be done one side at a time so the inlays can be taken out. Once both are in, their is no way to remove them. So I inserted one and started shaping the handle. I do this by holding the handle on the platen lengthwise and rolling it to get the shape I want.

Here it is with both sides shaped.

Next I round the edges with a 120 scalloped slack belt. I start by putting a 45 degree edge on then roll the edge to round it.

Here it is with all edges rounded.

Now on to hand sanding.

Back