First knife ever.........WIP

OK, In the last couple of days I filed and rasped my way to a shape I am happy with, I have sanded through all the grits to 400, I have applied the first coat of tung oil tonight.
I will have picks a my first completed knife soon!!!
then I get to have fun trying to make my first sheath!!!:eek:

Thanks all for the kind words so far!!:D

Well, I got the handle done this morning!!

Here is a little recap of my work.

Cut part of the knife blank out with a hacksaw and finished up with a 4 1/2'' grinder.
Hand filed the profile, plunge, and bevel.
Drilled holes with a friends drill press.
Sent to Texas Knifemakers Supply for Heat treat.
Glued on scales with Gorilla Glue Epoxy.
Hand rasped, filed, and sanded scales.
Put on a few coats of tung oil.

I still have to sharpen and make the sheath, I have the sheath cut out but I need a few more tools and some antique dye!!!

I will be posting more pics soon.

I also got the parts to build an etcher so I will have my mark on it also!!!!

Now for the pics..................

001-7.jpg

003-8.jpg

005-3.jpg

006-2.jpg

007-2.jpg

009-2.jpg

010.jpg

012-1.jpg

013-2.jpg

017-1.jpg

Ern that is very nice. Congrats but you know what comes next. Go to the beginning and make an other one. But really nice sir.

That looks great! That is way better than my first knife. Good job sir!

Ern, you spent a lot of time and patience making the knife, and it really shows. Great job on the knife, congratulations.

You need to name that knife "Elbow Grease" I'm very impressed. For a first knife with almost no power tools, it's fantastic.

Well done Ern. Looks like you have "the eye" for design and perseverance for follow through.

Congratulations.

BC

That turned out great! You proved that you don't need a shop full of power tools to make a nice nice, just a will and hard work.

Great Job! Now get started on another one...

Thank you all for the kind words, It really makes me feel like I built a really nice knife. I know there are a few flaws in it but I can fix them on the next knife!!

Thank you all for any help and all the encouragement!!!

Ernie....I sure wish my first Knife looked that Great!! matter of fact I wish they looked that great Now!!:bud:

Frank

Ernie, your fit and finish is much better than average for a first knife. You have an eye for this. I'm looking forward to seeing your next one.

Hey Ernie , Thats a great looking knife ! I am not only impressed with how well it turned out , but also with you and your attitude . I'm sure the sheath will turn out great as well . You really have shown us something . Keep it up !! Bill T

Back