First knife ever.........WIP

Ernie Swanson

SASSY PINK LUUNCHBOX KNIFE MAKER
Well, I started on my first knife ever.

Ats-34, 9'' over all, 4 1/8 from point to handle. 5/32 thick

I was going to build the whole knife with all hand tools except for a drill but after I broke my hacksaw a had to break out the 4 1/2'' grinder.

I have not decided on handle material yet but I think I am going to go with some birdseye maple.

I am going to use brass round stock for pin material, not sure of diamater yet!

here is a picture of my sketch and of the knife so far, I will be updating as I build it.
Please feel free to critique.
Thanks for looking!!!!

Here is a pic of me doing the draw filing on the bottom !!!
photo courtesy of my lovley girlfriend!!!

Yes I am working on my little deck. Its the only place I have right now to do any work like this!

Here is a pic of my filing vise:D, I know its not much but all I have, I am hoping to build a few knives and then sell a couple so I can get me a nice vise and belt grinder!!

I think I might try to sell this knife to buy some 1084 or 1095 and a craftsman
2x42 belt sander........... not sure if I will get that much for it.

I still have to drill my holes and send it out to get heat treated and tempered.

I tried to drill a few holes today but my drill kept going a little crooked so I am going to try to find a drill press I can use.

E

Engineer

That will be a great knife when it's finished. There's soul in that blade for sure. Great effort.

Terry

Bill Coye

Knife Maker
Right on!

Gotta like a guy that Jumps in both feet and makes it happen.

You've got my attention. Keep us posted.

BC

Craig

KNIFE MAKER
Way to go bigern!!! 2thumbs

Bigurn you’re determination will make it happen!!! I am looking forward to this WIP.

Craig

C

cwknifeman

You have a great start and just remember use what you have. I say that for several reasons if you start out using what you only have, you will learn a lot more on the way to the finish. Also, you will see a lot of the things that can go wrong and how to fix them easier than with a grinder. This way you will learn a lot more than just starting with a grinder. Knifemaking is a lot of trial and error even if you have been making knives for a long time as many of us have. We are always looking for another knife pattern to try, or a different way to do something to make it easier.
Curtis Wilson

Ernie Swanson

Well I sent her out to Heat treat.......

Sorry for no pics before it left but i will get some as soon as I start putting the scales on!!

R

rustygray

Great skills are in the hands not the tools

I think you have done an amazing job using files. That just shows that the skills are in the hands, not in the tools.

Your setup reminds me of one I had years ago. Lived in an apartment with a little balcony, and that was work shop, as long as it wasnt raining.

I am anxious to see the finished product.

LR Adkins

You are off and running. You have a good design and looks like you have a good hand for it. We're all rooting for you and are here for questions. Waiting for pics. :)

Larry

Ernie Swanson

I just opened a box from Texas knife supply, I got my knife back today so Now I can start the finishing and handle process.