WIP Bowie knife

Back side is cleaned up.

A30-C14-EC-77-C0-4-C09-AF9-F-F2-ECCAFF2-F9-C.jpg

Looks good with the handle in place.

C57-ED611-EE30-4222-A68-F-3-F7-FAFAE3481.jpg

I got the edge cleaned up, also. I will get a picture when I get the front cleaned up. Tomorrow??

Stay Bright silver solder. I got it 5 years ago when I started making knives. Some maker recommended it. I bought it. I use it very seldom.
Thanks Dennis. The reason I asked is because in the past I've done a lot of soldering on circuit boards; as in far more than I ever wanted to o_O.

I don't know if that necessarily translates to being able to solder well on a knife or not. But if true, my experience soldering circuit boards would say you could use less flux and that would make your cleanups easier.

Thanks Dennis. The reason I asked is because in the past I've done a lot of soldering on circuit boards; as in far more than I ever wanted to o_O.

I don't know if that necessarily translates to being able to solder well on a knife or not. But if true, my experience soldering circuit boards would say you could use less flux and that would make your cleanups easier.

I will take all the hints/help I can get with soldering. I think this is the 3rd knife that I have ever soldered. Just butt!!

I am extremely curious to know what the process is to clean all the excess solder off, while maintaining the initial flattened levels of the guard and the ricasso.

Johan and Chris: This is only the 3rd knife that I have soldered. It is a learning experience for me. But, if it starts flat, gets soldered, and then cleaned up. The guard and Ricasso should still be flat. I just have to carefully remove the ugly part of the solder that is sitting on those two pieces. I will scrape off the bigger chunks and sand it down to the metal. I will post a couple pictures of the process. But, today, junior high track meet. Run fast - turn left.

I will take all the hints/help I can get with soldering. I think this is the 3rd knife that I have ever soldered. Just butt!!
The real worry I would have with the way I would do it, is that it would overheat the blade and ruin the temper. And remember my experience is with soldering circuit boards and a few copper pipes.

How I would consider doing it would be to apply heat from the tang side until the joint where your knife and guard meet is just warm/hot enough to melt solder. Then I'd just drop a bead line of solder along that edge. It should suck the solder down into the joint and leave a nice clean soldered joint.

Again, I haven't done this on knives so this may be wrong for a knife that is heat treated. But this method works especially well with copper pipe and also circuit boards.

The real worry I would have with the way I would do it, is that it would overheat the blade and ruin the temper. And remember my experience is with soldering circuit boards and a few copper pipes.

How I would consider doing it would be to apply heat from the tang side until the joint where your knife and guard meet is just warm/hot enough to melt solder. Then I'd just drop a bead line of solder along that edge. It should suck the solder down into the joint and leave a nice clean soldered joint.

Again, I haven't done this on knives so this may be wrong for a knife that is heat treated. But this method works especially well with copper pipe and also circuit boards.

That was my plan. But, I really suck at soldering. With practice comes skill. I can clean-up. Lots of practice.

Time for clean up. I take my blade and carefully remove the large globs. I have seen makers use sharpened brass pieces so they do not mar the finish on the guard. With my solder skills I will sand a bunch so I am good with the blade.

2451AD1B-E35A-4854-9E3A-1BC81AFE8E4E.jpg

Once the chunks are removed, I use my sanding stick (g10) and a stiff piece of leather to slowly sand the solder residue. Slowly is the key word. It takes forever.

7F121115-097D-466D-8822-F195F555DAFC.jpg

80D26115-D6E7-4859-8BEF-B28B727049ED.jpg

Would it not be better to spend the time in making a tight fit-up so there was no need for the solder in the joint??.

Would it not be better to spend the time in making a tight fit-up so there was no need for the solder in the joint??.

Yes. It was pretty darn tight. I wanted to try to make the joint disappear. All I really accomplished was several more hours of work. My hands hurt from the tedious little bits of sanding.

After hours of soldering, clean up, and sanding, I am close to being done with this task. Not sure I really gained anything from the solder attempt. My hands hurt. I will try to finish tomorrow.

0-DD00-EF0-ECDC-49-F6-B2-EC-4-FA9-B3-A0-A356.jpg

EE3-DA13-C-39-CD-4271-8991-8187-FAEDB97-C.jpg
Dennis, I assume that the direction of sanding is along the original sanding direction as that prior to soldering, so as not create crosslines that needs to be sanded out? What grade of courseness/ fineness of sandpaper do you use?

Back