Why a knifemaker should carry one of his knives.

Thats a beautifu folder! I too just started carrying my own slipjoint. Its a great feeling to show it off.

that's a very nice knife!

and i whole-heartedly agree that a knifemaker should carry one of his own knives. not only to show off if asked, but also to able to improve a thing or two if needed. to me, as a customer who uses the knives i buy, that is a very important part to see if the knifemaker trusts his stuff enough to carry and use it. especially with a folding knife.

greetings,
olli

That is a beautiful user! I am sure someoen will offer you a good ammount for it. lol

It's good to see more knifemakers have finally figured this out. I remember many years ago reading in Blade in the "What Do You Carry" section about one of the top ABS makers. At any given time he had a couple of Buck knives on him. Another maker who was one of the finest art knifemakers also carried a Buck. A well known smith carried a Spyderco. Not that I have anything against these manufacturers, but my thought was these guys think more highly of a manufactured knife than they do their own work! That last maker always told me he couldn't hang on to one of his own because people bought them, but it's really not that hard to say no. It certainly doesn't say much for your confidence in your work when you pull out someone else's knife from your pocket and show it to a newbie!

I've carried one of my own folders for years. I'm on the third one now, and have a new one in the works. I have a few knives in my collection and a Jeremy Marsh folder coming this year. I still only carry one of my own.

Brent, that's a fine folder you made!

David

I now carry a "fancy" small sized folder in a pouch of course in my "going out clothes. Well like the rest of you until it goes. This one I gave to a grandson who was last on the list to get one. He was so overwhelmed he didn't want to take it , saying he already had that EDC that I had made especially for him that he loved so much.
When I worked in the pulp mill, I always carried a small liner locking folder with all red micartas cales and no bolsters. It was amazing how many hunting knife sales that little knife was responsible for. Frank

I use to swear by my Kershaw. I love it, but I gave it to my wife when she broke hers.
Now the only knife I carry is a one my integral hunters. Plus it is the only way I could ever afford to carry a Integral. I been Jonesing for a Titanium Locking Liner. Hmmm I have some Titanium, Cpm 154 and all the parts. Guess I know what my next knife will be.

I carry mine mainly to review,
And improve design and performance,
Went upgrade, I give away to somebody,
Hoping to get some honest feedback

Back