Why a knifemaker should carry one of his knives.

Brent D. Cramer

I was talking to a friend the other day and he asked to see my knife. He was surprised when I pulled out an old OVB with a broken blade. My excuse was that I sold everything that I made....after that moment of embarrassment I decided to put everything on hold and make something for myself.

This is what I came up with.

It's a D-2 Lanny's Clip scaled down to just over 3 3/8" closed. I found some very nice pre-banned Ivory to wrap it in. I topped it off with a bullocks shield which complements the Ivory nicely.

It disappears in my pocket and now I can't wait to be asked that question again!

attachment.php

Attachments

• my edc 001.jpg
    my edc 001.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 111
  • my edc 008.jpg
    my edc 008.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 90
  • my edc 012.jpg
    my edc 012.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 90
  • my edc 027.jpg
    my edc 027.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 430
  • my edc 045.jpg
    my edc 045.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 64
Makes perfect sense. It was something I always wondered about. You see knives with a shield on one side only. Thought I would inquire as to why. To keep costs down makes sense. Thanks!

Makes perfect sense. It was something I always wondered about. You see knives with a shield on one side only. Thought I would inquire as to why. To keep costs down makes sense. Thanks!

I was being kind of sarcastic. They are pretty labor intensive. I've made them with double shields. Traditionally they were made on one side probably for engraving purposes.

Last edited:
Very nice. That same reason is part of why I wanted to make folders in the first place. So I could carry around a knife I made.

Very nicely done ! I started carrying one of the fixed blades I make daily about a year ago , I use it every chance I get.

Great work !

If my knives looked that good...I'd be carrying one around offering to cut everything lol!
That's a beauty!

Yep, there ya go. That's the advertisement you need.

I came to the same realization a few years ago myself. I figured out something else not long after that. Some people don't know what a knife is for. Now I carry 2 knives. One of my customs on my side and what I call a "Stupid People" knife in a pocket. Right now it's one of those cheap Winchester liner lock things. But it might be some other imported folder.

The important part is that when the dumb butt that thinks a knife is a screwdriver or pry bar ask to borrow a knife...he gets the "Stupid People" knife. LOL

Great looking work!

JD, I agree 100%. All of the guys I work with know that I always carry at least one knife. The first thing I ask when they ask to borrow a knife is, "What are you cutting?". 90% of the time I grab the Gerber Multi-Tool from my body armor and hand it to them to use.

That is a fine looking knife. You'll probably eventually end up selling to someone you show it to.:D
-John

Brent, I said this on the other forum, but I wanted to say it here too, you nailed this knife, it's your best yet. Enjoy carrying it, you deserve it! 2thumbs

That is a fine looking knife. You'll probably eventually end up selling to someone you show it to.:D
-John

Yep, you run a pretty good risk of that happening with such a nice knife :) I had that happened about three times already with a knife, and two times with a watch. Good thing is i don't make clothes :D Would be going home naked....

Anyway, now i have a prototype integral folder in my pocket, that is not 100% perfect, so at least i have an excuse not to sell it :) Worked out pretty well :)

Ondrej

PS: Again, really nice knife, thanks for sharing:)

I know a lot of guys carry knives that are a little messed up. I have done that myself, but I think that a knifemaker should carry a good one!

I used to carry one that was messed up and I found that I had to point it out and explain to people that I really could do better!

Of course when I make a good one for myself, someone ends up buying it. We just can't win sometimes.... :)

That is a really good looking knife though! :D

I know a lot of guys carry knives that are a little messed up. I have done that myself, but I think that a knifemaker should carry a good one!

I used to carry one that was messed up and I found that I had to point it out and explain to people that I really could do better!

That's a good point - and besides, I think a maker should carry his best efforts - a matter of eating his own cooking basically. What better way to find things to improve than to carry and use your own creations every day.

I remember a few years ago Ed Caffrey wanted to stop people buying his personal knives out of his pockets, so he decided to make a really ugly one for himself -- trouble was, he turned the corner on "ugly" and came back around to "pretty darn cool". So, still didn't work. :p

That's a good point - and besides, I think a maker should carry his best efforts - a matter of eating his own cooking basically. What better way to find things to improve than to carry and use your own creations every day.

I remember a few years ago Ed Caffrey wanted to stop people buying his personal knives out of his pockets, so he decided to make a really ugly one for himself -- trouble was, he turned the corner on "ugly" and came back around to "pretty darn cool". So, still didn't work. :p

I wanted to carry something that I wouldn't have to make excuses for. This one feels pretty darn cool the way it is. It would take a pretty attractive offer for me to let it go.:D

The problem that I have is that I enjoy owning and using other people's work but it can be hard to explain to other people why I'm not using my own. It's something that I plan to rectify.

Of course when I make a good one for myself, someone ends up buying it. We just can't win sometimes.... :)

That is a really good looking knife though! :D

I'm exactly as Les, i carry often the messed up knives i did, and when i carry a good one, it's fastly sold and i have to make another one :D

You have now a cool knife in the pocket ;).

Back