What's going on in your shop?

Worked on some projects in the shop today!

Put some rare earth magnets onto my mild steel platen and made faces for the other platens. F3 Felt, S2-32 Felt, leather, thick mild steel with a bevel on one side to get into tight areas like hidden tangs and the radius platen from AmeriBrade. They stack nice and are quick to swap on and off!.Mag platen.jpgplaten stack.jpg

Made a stand along portaband table/stand instead of hooking it into my 2x72:
portaband stand.jpg

Took pics of some of my handy tools:
tools of the trade.jpg

Drywall saw became a broach, magnetic platen stack (just need to get some more pyroceream to do a glass platen on the mag plate), home made bevel jig to grind blades, edge scribe from Jantz, Pops Knife Supplies Bolster alignment clamp with carbide strips epoxied to it as a plunge cut guide and the factory made handle broach.

Did this today, too! Linear rails, small vise and a Dremel tool mounted into a precision router base on a stand so I can mill slots in G10 and Micarta for guards. Haven't tried metal yet. Need to work out a better way to adjust the height/depth of cut because it's kinda cumbersome and the threaded rod causes some wobble.
Dremel mill.jpg

3/32" slot in 3/8" scrap canvas micarta:
mill slot.jpg

Worked on some projects in the shop today!

Put some rare earth magnets onto my mild steel platen and made faces for the other platens. F3 Felt, S2-32 Felt, leather, thick mild steel with a bevel on one side to get into tight areas like hidden tangs and the radius platen from AmeriBrade. They stack nice and are quick to swap on and off!.View attachment 80823View attachment 80824

Made a stand along portaband table/stand instead of hooking it into my 2x72:
View attachment 80825

Took pics of some of my handy tools:
View attachment 80826

Drywall saw became a broach, magnetic platen stack (just need to get some more pyroceream to do a glass platen on the mag plate), home made bevel jig to grind blades, edge scribe from Jantz, Pops Knife Supplies Bolster alignment clamp with carbide strips epoxied to it as a plunge cut guide and the factory made handle broach.

Did this today, too! Linear rails, small vise and a Dremel tool mounted into a precision router base on a stand so I can mill slots in G10 and Micarta for guards. Haven't tried metal yet. Need to work out a better way to adjust the height/depth of cut because it's kinda cumbersome and the threaded rod causes some wobble.
View attachment 80822

3/32" slot in 3/8" scrap canvas micarta:
View attachment 80827
You got alot completed today. Feels pretty durn good, don't it ?

Yup! Been waiting to get these done for a while! I usually work on knife orders on my days off, but since I had to work 3rd shift tonight, I decided to get some of the smaller projects knocked out to make my remaining shop time more effficient.

Hopefully the remainder of the items will be delivered today to modify the Dremel Mill assembly! I tried lighter springs, but it was still wonky a bit and some of the guitar router base screws loved to loosen up, which added a lot of movement. Version 2.0 should be much better!!

I am using 1/2" black pipe, 1/2" pipe clamps, 1/2" pipe flanges, lighter springs as the vertical posts and then a piece of thick aluminum that I will drill and tap to fit the Dremel instead of the router base. The base will go over the 1/2" pipe and the pipe clamp will control the up/down of the base. I am going to use a hole saw to get a more round hole, so it fits the black pipe tighter. I also got a better linear rail since the round pieces were flexing away from the base, which was causing some issues.

Lol, yup. It's a feature not a flaw!
EXACTLY!

45fe9951e519d58847e6fd298537a80c.jpg

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

Back