What's going on in your shop?

Very nice work!!

Would you mind sharing that method?
This is what has worked for me:

1) Print out the image to transfer (I'm using a laser printer. Other printers may work, but I haven't tried them).
2) Tape the design to the work piece, image side down.
3) Wipe it down with a paper towel moistened with acetone (I've found if it's too wet, it smears the image. This part may take a few tries).

If it doesn't transfer all the way, or gets smeared, I just wipe it off with more acetone and try again. I've used this method on wood and steel. It comes off with more acetone, but won't rub off easily from touching or handling it.

a bit of History:

When I was 19 I bought a Dan Wesson .44 mag revolver. I made a birdseye maple handle for it and eventually traded it to my brother for something...can't even remember what. Last year , before he passed away this year, he brought it to Montana and gave it back to me....he thought my kids might like something I made at 19.

My son was in love at first sight...lol....and I owed him some money...we called it even (he got a very good deal...). This week-end he was over celebrating my 60th birthday and we eventually ended up in the shop.

He wanted a Bowie with a maple handle and smooth guard...I had the handle and guard and blade(almost finish ground)...and he wanted to blue the knife so it would match the Dan Wesson with the custom grip. We split up the projects and finished up this evening. I finished the knife handle and re-finished the pistol handle and ground the blade. He had already re-blued the pistol a few weeks earlier. He blued the blade and assembled the knife and finished the guard. He loves this pistol/knife combo.

What a fun weekend working alongside my son...who is 19.
240572763_164547369151207_8056961508023637577_n.jpg240603898_274096897531404_5454859599514212122_n.jpg

a bit of History:

When I was 19 I bought a Dan Wesson .44 mag revolver. I made a birdseye maple handle for it and eventually traded it to my brother for something...can't even remember what. Last year , before he passed away this year, he brought it to Montana and gave it back to me....he thought my kids might like something I made at 19.

My son was in love at first sight...lol....and I owed him some money...we called it even (he got a very good deal...). This week-end he was over celebrating my 60th birthday and we eventually ended up in the shop.

He wanted a Bowie with a maple handle and smooth guard...I had the handle and guard and blade(almost finish ground)...and he wanted to blue the knife so it would match the Dan Wesson with the custom grip. We split up the projects and finished up this evening. I finished the knife handle and re-finished the pistol handle and ground the blade. He had already re-blued the pistol a few weeks earlier. He blued the blade and assembled the knife and finished the guard. He loves this pistol/knife combo.

What a fun weekend working alongside my son...who is 19.
View attachment 79028View attachment 79029
I love this story and end result, wonderful.

Great story, Ted @Smallshop You made that look just like an "ensemble". Love it.
Nice handgun. I have had the .357 15V version since 1975. Their bluing had problems. I had mine about 6 months and the left plate had faded badly already. Wesson answered the phone. They re-blued without even blinking an eye. I've got an 8, 4, and 2" bbl for it.
Had another, 6" SS. Both were tack drivers for open sights. The grip on yours is VERY nice! <bit of envy>
And the knife. He's a good son, obviously.
Well done, sir!

Love DW revolvers, had 2 15-2, a 44, 744 and a 22. Still have one 15-2 with 4, 6 and 2, 8" barrels. 744 has 2.5, 4, 6 and 8" barrels :)

Worked on this White #1 Funayuki San Mai blank last night. Matt Parkinson from Dragons Breath Forge did the HT for me, tested at 64 with his testing chisels! Did a quick satin finish, looked horrible because I didn't get the previous scratches out, so I took it to an 800 belt finish on felt and acid etched. Threw a take off handle I found in my shop on it so I can sharpen it and try it out before I finish it off. I think I got it thin enough?W1F1.jpgw1f1 choil.jpg

The friend who makes my knife sheaths has a son who turned 17 yesterday. The family is Christian...son is too. He LOVES history and has been studying Hebrew history. the last few times I went to visit he was wearing a yarmukle. He told me when he reads his bible or prays he also wears a Tallit (prayer shawl) He's not into knives at all so I made him this Yad (Torah pointer) which many orthodox Jews use to read the scroll...the belief being that it is sacred and should not be touched by human hands. They traditionally have a small hand at the end with the pointer finger extended. I haven't given it to him yet...just finished it but I think it will be meaningful to him. The Genesis verse is the one where God tells Abram to look up at the night sky...and he will make his descendants as numerous as the stars...The handles look like the night sky here in Montana...lots o' stars!yad1.jpgyad3.jpgyad2.jpgyad4.jpg

Fixing to get out to shop and finish this one up
e57ce46416c6fac44de1e1affe3d518b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Great to hear!
But with 25+ years in the rehab field, allow me to mention (if your doctor hasn't already) that it sounds like you are in the the dangerous portion of your recovery/rehab, feeling good enough to push yourself to the point of doing some serious damage.
Be careful.
exactly! I felt strong....that dolly just pulled out of my hand on the first step...it was loud.

about 3 mos back I injured my sternum trying to open a sauerkraut jar...so I am improving...(sternum still hurts tho...)

Back