What's going on in your shop?

Forged out another camp axe. Mild steel body with a 5160 bit forge welded in. The handle is American hickory.
I don’t like the 5160 mild steel combo, it feels weird under the hammer, even at welding heat there is a major difference in how soft the mild steel is vs the 5160, it spreads laterally really fast and you really gotta keep on top of squaring your edges up. I have a lot of 5160 and shop funds are nil till I sell some stuff so that’s what I’m learning on I guess

Nothing going on until I get my welder fixed, I traded a Rem 700 22-250 whose barrel I had wOrn out, to a friend for an almost new ESAB 141i Fabricator welded about 2 years ago. In my non welderness I ran it too hard and overheated the gun and melted the plastic stuff in the grip that holds everything together. Sure is fun trying to find replacement parts. To quote the great Dr. Evil, “Throw me a freakin’ bone here!”

OK folks....wish me luck!! It's been some time since I've stepped up to the grinder.

I think the Benlysta treatments are helping, as I am feeling a bit better. I've also learned that patience is a good thing..... It's hard for me to use my 9" angle grinder like I normally do for scale removal....but as you can tell from the pic.... 2-3 days in white vinegar can save a ton of labor! ;) These were taken out of the vinegar, and steel brushed in the swarf bucket under the grinder. I've used the vinegar thing for years, but never been patient enough to let it fully do it's job....until now.

Bladesto-Grind.jpg

Hopefully down the road I'll have some of these finished to share pics of..... that is if the whole thing doesn't turn into a train wreck! :cool:

Hmmmmm. I went to grab a new set of mask filters today, and they are usually yellow in color. When these popped outta the bag, I noticed something (see pic).... maybe if we flood everything with Radionuclides, and we all wore these filters, we could wipe out this virus stuff??? :) I'm blaming my crazy thoughts on the meds. :)
IMG-4603.jpg

Back