What's going on in your shop?

Damascus time this week.
These billets have been run once and now are stacked for another squeeze.
I weld the seam all around so I don't have to mess with flux.
IMG_0901.jpg

A couple of them are kind of explosion low layer pattern.
The bars are squared up on the mill and cut at something close to a 45. I used a TIG to tack them together.
IMG_0924.jpg

For the Ferry flip billets I MIG welded thin sheet metal jacket on top and bottom and then MIG welded the side seams. Again, no flux.
img_0925-jpg.72446

Here they are run out. The left billet is a straight grain. The right billet is a twist I have low hopes for. I did the first twist on it too cold and I think I ripped the insides a bit. I'll run them out and see what I can save. The two middle ones are the Ferry flip billets.
IMG_0941.jpg

The left two are the flip billets and the one on the right is the straight grain. The straight grain I put in small W's so I would get a wavy line.
These are ground with a 40 grit belt so the contrast is really low. Once fine sanded and buffed, they should really increase in contrast. This is all 1095 and 15n20
IMG_0943.jpg

The straight grain doesn't look like much due to the 40 grit finish but I think it should come out nice when polished up.
IMG_0944.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0925.jpg
    IMG_0925.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 56
Up at work for a few more days and were in a blow,if you have ever worked in prudhoe bay you know what I'm talking about,rebuilt a bunch of valves this morning due to the fact that my scheduled run was canceled, looking forward to going home and getting back to work in the forge, when I left I had just welded up this hawk with a 1084 bit and want th o get it done and i have a small frame handle Bowie to complete. FB_IMG_1584133484611.jpg

Back