What's going on in your shop?

Over the holidays I took a few weeks off from grinding. I've been wanting to try leather carving and Tandy ran a great sale so I picked up some tools and took a whack at it.

This was my first attempt at carving and stamping.

e73d1a2cc8b10030a9e5766d1e91424a.jpg

That first one was full of flaws, and just like my knifemaking career so far I figured the only way to proceed is to continue failing my way to success.

ce0734f58e11544ca6b7de01323c074f.jpg

Most frustrating is that I can't cut a straight line to save my life. And the whole moisture level thing is a total crapshoot for me at this point because I'm pretty clueless. "When the leather begins to return to its natural color..." is apparently something I lack the natural ability to determine with any reasonable accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks pretty good for 'first attempts' John. I think you're gonna hit your stride with that leather.

Thanks Daniel and John. Getting control over that swivel knife is no small feat. I feel like a gorilla trying to write in cursive for the first time.

Daniel is that osage orange and copper pins on the warn cliff? It looks like a nice field kitchen knife

8in Chef

AEB-L blade
Pommelle Koa handle, contoured

I rounded the spine as well as the choil to the heel.

6253e3ead9eab0799704afea7a9b1f64.jpg

9426bde46a1a31c19f5faa15610ab4e3.jpg

d99dbc65cd5ad70ed056729680a5de22.jpg

Last edited:
thanks Daniel!

what's that gizmo on your blank?

edit: Doh! i should have enlarged the pic on my phone. Now I see it's a bolster.

John that handle combo looks super nice!

Daniel I like that blade profile and it looks really clean can't wait to see it done.

3c6dd66a71bd17224fc7f4c129a9d078.jpg

Am cooking a batch of micarta and hoping it turns out. Black blue and white
Daniel an John are making me wish I had chose to work on a knife instead.

Last edited:
At the moment is still curing. I am going to share my final product pics tomorrow. Btw those who haven't made any of this stuff yet it smells wonderful outside and needed a fan to blow fumes away from the door still. Lol

7397553db1f5e7c945a98b59c4ebdb25.jpg

Two scales and two sizes due to it being my first go at this I learned that wet is not saturated and more resin is better. Lol

Back