What's going on in your shop?

Here's my latest one out the shop. I get a lot of requests for these Pocket Cleavers with Superconductor
6545c39a56211b25e71f18a32bd73035.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Very pretty knife. Do people use these as general purpose utilities, or how are they most often used?
Thanks John. Yes. It's designed as an edc blade. I get a lot of questions like this. I guess because there's no point to speak of. If you think of it, how often do you need to stab something. How often do you really need a point. The cutting edge does 99% of the work.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

oh I'm completely with you on that. My favorite designs are sheepsfoot / wharnecliffe profiles. Any corner is enough to start a cut. I can't ever remember thrusting to begin a cut.

i was referring more to the cleaver-type profile where the edge projects so far below the tang. But I imagine that the user's hand fills that space very nicely. You could actually get some power into the cut with this profile because you don't have to alter your grip to a pinch grip to protect your knuckles.

I like it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great looking geometry on that Chef, Daniel.

I really want to forge, but I'm worried that it's too loud for a neighborhood. Do any of you guys forge with neighbors up close? Is it too loud, or not really?

Great looking geometry on that Chef, Daniel.

I really want to forge, but I'm worried that it's too loud for a neighborhood. Do any of you guys forge with neighbors up close? Is it too loud, or not really?

Thanks John!

I don't live in a neighborhood but I don't think that hand forging would be to much noise(reasonableble times) but like I said, I don't live in a neighborhood so I wouldn't know

Yesterday sucked in the shop.

Broke a hardened blank trying to straighten out a barely perceptible warp. I could easily have gotten it flat during grinding, but thought I'd fix it. Snap. Hooray.

Ruined a $50 piece of wood by trying to get 4 scales out of a block. Oh yeah, aren't I the one always preaching not to try to squeeze every last fifty cents from your materials? Now I have no scales instead of two good scales and some leftovers. Yay. Awesome.

I called it a night and came inside to meet the strangers that live in my house. Turns out they are actually my wife and kids.

Last edited:
Dont feel bad John, I was gonna try to make a little carving knife for the nephew to whittle with and touched the belt with the blade an heard tick,tick,tick slap! ripped a belt and scared the crap outta myself and ruined the last coarse belt.
Tried to clean a block of wood up and now have a paring knife handle from a hunter handle.
The positive for the week is we are buying a house w a 15x20 shop at the back of it. yaaaayyuuussssss win!!!!

Broke a hardened blank trying to straighten out a barely perceptible warp. I could easily have gotten it flat during grinding, but thought I'd fix it. Snap. Hooray.

Ruined a $50 piece of wood by trying to get 4 scales out of a block. Oh yeah, aren't I the one always preaching not to try to squeeze every last fifty cents from your materials? Now I have no scales instead of two good scales and some leftovers. Yay. Awesome.

I called it a night and came inside to meet the strangers that live in my house. Turns out they are actually my wife and kids.

Sometimes you have to laugh to keep from crying John. :)

Sounds like a typical 'every other day' here in my shop. Happens to all of us. I feel for you though.

I stopped in once to a knifemaker friends shop and heard a bunch of clattering and banging. I walked in to see him taking a sudden urge to rearrange everything that wasn't bolted down to the far end of the shop with considerable velocity. :D He asked me if I had any classified adds with me so he could investigate a new career path.

He had tried carefully to fix a small flaw in a very expensive knife he was working on and it got away from him and it was ruined.

Take a break....keep your chin up....and when you feel ready, get back at it and you'll be the better for it, believe it or not. Take comfort in the fact that if everything that can go wrong goes wrong....you're on the right path. Heck, sometimes even the things that CAN'T go wrong go wrong. Usually the fact of the matter is that occasionally just enough things go right that we can get a knife done. :)

I want to get into folders so I ordered some equipment. Now I need to figure out what to do with it.

IMG_20160218_215321_zpsrhd31nga.jpg

Dont feel bad John, I was gonna try to make a little carving knife for the nephew to whittle with and touched the belt with the blade an heard tick,tick,tick slap! ripped a belt and scared the crap outta myself and ruined the last coarse belt.
Tried to clean a block of wood up and now have a paring knife handle from a hunter handle. 
The positive for the week is we are buying a house w a 15x20 shop at the back of it.  yaaaayyuuussssss win!!!!

Sounds like we had the same kind of day! Man, congrats on the 15x20 shop! That's a world apart from trying to work on a chair on the porch. Best wishes on the house, Walt.

Sometimes you have to laugh to keep from crying John. :)

Sounds like a typical 'every other day' here in my shop. Happens to all of us. I feel for you though.

I stopped in once to a knifemaker friends shop and heard a bunch of clattering and banging. I walked in to see him taking a sudden urge to rearrange everything that wasn't bolted down to the far end of the shop with considerable velocity. :D He asked me if I had any classified adds with me so he could investigate a new career path.

He had tried carefully to fix a small flaw in a very expensive knife he was working on and it got away from him and it was ruined.

Thanks, John. I know I shouldn't find comfort in the misery of others, but maybe my mother in law is onto something after all. It does feel better.

Thanks, John. I know I shouldn't find comfort in the misery of others, but maybe my mother in law is onto something after all. It does feel better.

I have days like you describe often. I think I get a really romantic few of how great it is in other people's shop because people rarely show when things go bad so we only see the good things and there just SO many people showing awesome stuff it makes me feel like I have to keep up with EVERYONE and it's just not realistic.

I feel ya' though! Glad to hear I'm not alone!

Some days your the hammer and some days your the nail.

Back