What's going on in your shop?

There are some great knives and tools being built here guys!!

I'm working on this hunter in 52100 with dyed curly maple from J.Doyle
411460097.jpg

411460098.jpg

I have been making allot of these lately!
411460099.jpg

That differential hardening you do with the two-tone blade knocks my eyes out every time I see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be sending this one out for heat treat tomorrow as it is way too big for me to handle. As of right now it measure 22 1/2" long (which will not change) and weighs 2 1/2 lbs. I am hoping to shave the weight down a bit more during the finishing stages. The balance is near perfect.

P7090052.jpg

Last edited:
^^ that's a beast!!
I finally got some damascus to work!!!! I don't much care about the performance of this damascus(If I want performance 52100 is the way to go for me) I'm just making to try and to enjoy it's own unique beauty.
This billet is made from 1084 and 15n20 it is currently a 12 layer billet but I hope to get it up to a 200+ layer(I can now understand why guys love having a hydraulic press!!! hammering is hard!)

411495611.jpg

411495610.jpg

What do you think? how many of you have tried making damascus?
DR...

I took some scrap steel and a few late nights to build a knife vise.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 73
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 82
well in my shop i got my very first anvil! 153# Peter Wright made between 1860 and 1880. She has seen allot of use and isn't purdy in the eyes of many, has some battle scars and isn't dead flat, but to my eyes this here anvil holds another 150 years of service to the craftsperson, should serve me nicely :)
vKdsPsvl.jpg

dLc2Fawl.jpg

and my current WIP
uyWH80Ol.jpg

Heres a laminated blade I forged out while I worked on my damascus. it is 1084 core with a 15n20 highlighter and mild steel wrapped sides:
Just did a quick profile and grinde to see the core the grind is a bit uneven towards the tip and why the core is not exposed evenly...I think that will grind out good
411514594.jpg

411514595.jpg

What do you think?
DR....

Hey Daniel. I had some of that "pin stripe" Damascus given to me a while back. I used it in a liner lock. I did sell it at our small shoe here within a gun show. It was one on the first pieces a friend had made and was most pleased when he saw it in a completed knife.
Frank

Here are two more beauties that are destined for handles!!(handles are on them now as a matter of fact!) these are turning out really good!!(I also got a 52100 stencil so I'm marking the steel type on the blades now)

Man I just love making these hardening lines!
411517819.jpg

DR....

i started using Tapmatic wax lately and I like it better than cutting oil or fluids. A quick dab against the running drill bit or tap. It's quick and easy and cleans up easily....

I wish I'd done this years ago. All the exact drills, reamers, countersink I need in one easy labeled place to grab for a run of folders I am working on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 61
That sure looks like a good step to organization ! I may have to give that a go when and if I get my next very small shop into use.
Frank

Yep those wax type drill and tap lubes for drill press work are great- SO less messy than trying to squirt oil on. I bought sticks and best money I ever spent.

Today I used my Bruce Bump clamp-up jig and it works great -used some oak pallet wood and some all-thread to make it in about 10 minutes.

Well, here I am again without pictures. I sure do on the other hand enjoy being "in" with the crowd by contributing something. I today finished another double bladed liner lock with double stippled titanium bolsters and moose bone for the scales. They sure do look like ivory. I hope "the man" will not be disappointed some how thinking the scales should look different than they do. I used CPMS110V for both blades one being a clip and the other shaped much like some of the old time European gutting blades. The back bars are polished titanium while the three liners are titanium with jewelling on the inside and are anodized blue.
Frank

Well, here I am again without pictures. I sure do on the other hand enjoy being "in" with the crowd by contributing something. I today finished another double bladed liner lock with double stippled titanium bolsters and moose bone for the scales. They sure do look like ivory. I hope "the man" will not be disappointed some how thinking the scales should look different than they do. I used CPMS110V for both blades one being a clip and the other shaped much like some of the old time European gutting blades. The back bars are polished titanium while the three liners are titanium with jewelling on the inside and are anodized blue.
Frank
Frank, we need to get this picture thing figured out! If I can help at all let me know.
Sounds like a really nice knife.

Frank
I'd like to see pictures!! if possible anyway.

Frank, if you want, call the shop and ask for me and I'll try and figure out what the problem is.

Back