What's going on in your shop?

And I have a question for those that have been using Gene Kimmi's method of wax on the edges of the tang before glue-up to prevent the epoxy from getting every where. I tried it and ended up with nothing but a mess. I had wax everywhere including the face of the tang. When I attempted to clean up the face the wax on the edges flaked off as well. Any ideas?

Sean,

Here's my process for gluing up the scales on a knife. I assemble the scales to the blade with pins or corbys, then spread wax anywhere that epoxy will squeeze out. Next, remove the scales from the blade. I will use some denatured alcohol to clean any wax that has seeped under the scales. Cleaning before the wax has dried, I have not had problems with the wax flaking off. I do not clean anything on the blade, just the back side of the scales. Epoxy the scales to the blade and let set for at least 8 hours before peeling the epoxy squeeze out from the assembled knife. I have let the epoxy set longer before clean up, but have found it peels off easier when it has not set to complete hardness. If you have any questions. let me know.

Sean,

Here's my process for gluing up the scales on a knife. I assemble the scales to the blade with pins or corbys, then spread wax anywhere that epoxy will squeeze out. Next, remove the scales from the blade. I will use some denatured alcohol to clean any wax that has seeped under the scales. Cleaning before the wax has dried, I have not had problems with the wax flaking off. I do not clean anything on the blade, just the back side of the scales. Epoxy the scales to the blade and let set for at least 8 hours before peeling the epoxy squeeze out from the assembled knife. I have let the epoxy set longer before clean up, but have found it peels off easier when it has not set to complete hardness. If you have any questions. let me know.
Thanks Gene...I'll give this another try following your method closely. What kind of wax are you using? I used candle wax last time. But I just thought that maybe you've been using paste wax? Like Johnson's paste wax? Could that be the difference?

Thanks Gene...I'll give this another try following your method closely. What kind of wax are you using? I used candle wax last time. But I just thought that maybe you've been using paste wax? Like Johnson's paste wax? Could that be the difference?
I have used Axe wax and a couple different car paste waxes. I know Ed and others use vaseline. To me, the car paste waxes are the easiest to remove.

Back