What's going on in your shop?

Sean Jones

Well-Known Member
Since my wife's various illnesses we've hardly used our trailer at all. So I've moved my leather work out to the trailer. Our cats make it almost impossible to do leather work in the house. And the garage where my shop is, is simply too dirty and dusty. Thus the trailer.

My wife says this is my next move in my plan to take over the world. First the garage, now the trailer :cool:


 

mike miller

KNIFE MAKER
Since my wife's various illnesses we've hardly used our trailer at all. So I've moved my leather work out to the trailer. Our cats make it almost impossible to do leather work in the house. And the garage where my shop is, is simply too dirty and dusty. Thus the trailer.

My wife says this is my next move in my plan to take over the world. First the garage, now the trailer :cool:


Maybe you won't have to put everything up now.
 

Heikki

KNIFE MAKER
This is the "antiquing" finish I learned from John Cohea's video. Ferric chloride followed by a dip in bleach. Repeat as necessary. I thought it needed to be a bit darker, so I touched it up with some Super Blue. Now I have to wait for a bandsaw blade to show up so I can start the handle work.
IMG_2075.jpgIMG_2079.jpgIMG_2081.jpgIMG_2084.jpg
 

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
still trying to crack the code on a dual action.
I finally stopped messing with the round piano wire. It flexed sideways when pushing over the sear pin leaving it hanging or not engaging.
I had high hopes for the piano wire as that would have saved me a lot of time heat treating and testing traditional flat springs.
I was hoping to avoid making a flat spring with all that goes with that. Oh well.

so... I made a flat spring to fit up. I think it will work better and more consistently. I am using 8670 which is pretty tough and hopefully will handle the flexing better than a high carbon spring like 1095. We'll see.
I'll make several variations and get them into heat treat.
I also need to make another sear pin switch to minimize side play.
I feel like I am making progress but it's slow and tedious.

Here it is in the charged position.
IMG_1892.jpg
 

Randy Lucius

KNIFE MAKER
This is the "antiquing" finish I learned from John Cohea's video. Ferric chloride followed by a dip in bleach. Repeat as necessary. I thought it needed to be a bit darker, so I touched it up with some Super Blue. Now I have to wait for a bandsaw blade to show up so I can start the handle work.
View attachment 74303View attachment 74304View attachment 74305View attachment 74306
I was in Harbor Freight yesterday and almost bought the fireman's ax to give this a try but I have some orders to get out so no time to play. Yours is looking awesome!!
 

Chris Railey

KNIFE MAKER
This is the "antiquing" finish I learned from John Cohea's video. Ferric chloride followed by a dip in bleach. Repeat as necessary. I thought it needed to be a bit darker, so I touched it up with some Super Blue. Now I have to wait for a bandsaw blade to show up so I can start the handle work.
View attachment 74303View attachment 74304View attachment 74305View attachment 74306
I think I may have to try this as well. If you do not mind, would open another thread and explain how you did the wolf thingy, that is really cool.
 
Top