"W"s from Walla Walla

Thanks much guys. I'm enjoying these threads too. I really think it makes me a better maker to post my day on here.

I'm using West Systems G 5 minute epoxy to bed my tang. I've heard such good things about so gave it a try. It seems to be good stuff for sure. Its probally overkill for this job since the epoxy only needs to fill the void.

I used Brownells realease agent and painted the front of the stag and the guard also the tang. When it dried I wrapped the tang with teflon tape and for to be sure it doesnt bond to the tang I gave it a thin coat of vasoline. I know its more overkill but It would be bad if I couldnt get the stag back off after it set up.

I also painted the release agent on the butt cap and coated it and the screw threads with vasoline.

I mixed the 2 parts equally on a piece of stainless heat treating foil and poured it in. I used a 1/16" rod to poke down to the bottom and wick out any trapped air bubbles and filled it up all the way. Put the pommel plate on and tightened the corby bolt.

After 10 minutes I removed the screw and pommel plate to check the firmness of the epoxy. It was set up really well and wouldnt deform from pulling the stag off. It came off much easier than I thought it would when I pulled it. Be carefull to not twist the stag when pulling it off.

Some cleanup and put it back together for a long cure.

101_5887_edited.jpg

101_5891_edited.jpg

101_5892_edited.jpg

101_5894_edited.jpg

101_5895_edited.jpg

101_5899_edited.jpg

101_5901_edited.jpg

101_5904_edited.jpg

101_5905_edited.jpg

101_5906_edited.jpg

101_5910_edited.jpg

101_5911_edited.jpg

Last edited:
Mr. B., i just can't stop looking at that stag, it's really something :) And in my opinion, it goes pretty well with the blued guard. I know it's just a temporary measure to anneal it for engraving, but if you finished it in that color...:eek:

Ondrej

Some minor sanding and touch ups on the guard, handle and clean off all the mating surfaces.

I have this one packaged up and shipping out to Ken Hurst today for his magic touch. Its nice to have a take down model like this because I'm not sending Ken the blade but just the parts to be engraved.

101_5917_edited.jpg

101_5920_edited.jpg

I have this one packaged up and shipping out to Ken Hurst today for his magic touch. Its nice to have a take down model like this because I'm not sending Ken the blade but just the parts to be engraved.

Ken will appreciate not having to dodge the blade as he rotates the guard while engraving it!

Bruce, I believe you mentioned that the guard is 1018 steel. After the engraving will it be blued or left in the white?

Sure would like to see this one in person!

David

What an awesome piece, Bruce!

Zowie Bruce-man! I love it. Like David said: is this guard and butt cap going to be
blued?

Very, very nice, Bruce!
Dana

Thanks guys!
No bluing on this one. I want to dip it in really weak cold bluing and take it back off on all the high spots with 4000 grit polishing cloth. Its my own recipe for "French Gray". I may need to further darken the low spots with india ink if the cold blue isnt dark enough.

Last edited:
Very nice show on how you made the knife, looks great, cant wait to see the finished product.
Thanks2thumbs2thumbs

Bruce, Could you please limit the number of pages on these wip's. I need to get out to the shop and not be on this machine all day. You truly are a Master! See you in Eugene.

Bruce, Could you please limit the number of pages on these wip's. I need to get out to the shop and not be on this machine all day. You truly are a Master! See you in Eugene.

:D You're a good one to talk. I only have a handful of threads so far, You have a boat load!
Hey I saved up $15. See ya in Eugene.2thumbs

:D You're a good one to talk. I only have a handful of threads so far, You have a boat load!
Hey I saved up $15. See ya in Eugene.2thumbs

Bruce, You know where you can spend it. :D I may raise my price up to 20 bucks this year. You know about inflation. 2thumbs

I'm looking forward to seeing you!

Ken finished the engraving and I had time to polish the pieces and "French Grey" them today. I used Oxpho Blue highly diluted with wiater and neutralized them with baking soda and water. I polished the high spots with 4000 pink polishing cloth and used black india ink in the low spots. I love the looks and its easy to maintain and/or refinish again someday.

100_6274_edited.jpg

100_6276_edited.jpg

100_6272_edited.jpg

100_6269_edited.jpg

Back