User names

Les George

Admin - Founding Member
If your a knife maker and your user name on the forums is not your real name, I think you are missing a great opportunity to build some name recognition....

What do you guys think?cool 1

You are correct sir. I don't understand why someone wouldn't use their real name :confused: Just seems it's another way to promote yourself. cool 1

GLWJ/CK......
stabber.......
BossDog.....

You guys don't need anymore recognition.
I've been "markb" on other forums but now that I'm making knives finally, I have high
hopes and registered under my full name here.
Mark Behnke
How do you pronounce it? Can you remember it?
There is a maker bbehnke already . would this add confusion?

I was thinking of an AKA

What do you think?

Mark Behnke

Good thread. It made me go pay attention to my own sig here. I almost always use tmickley on the forums. I didn't for some reason here. I went back and edited my sig line to put my name and business contact in.

Mark,
I wouldn't worry if someone can pronounce your name correctly. I'd just want them to know it. If I were you, I'd go with M.Behnke as a stamp if there is another Behnke maker out there already. I don't have that problem with my last name, Mickley.

Oh and it's not too late, if you want a name change, I am pretty sure we can make that happen for ya....

:D

I was thinking of going with "Ben Key", thats the pronunciation.
That would be a complete name change, so probably much confusion ?

But I do like the way it looks and sounds.
What do you think?

Mark

I've been leatherman for so long I think it would confuse people to see my real name up there. :p

But for new and semi new makers, name recognition is everything. Along the same lines is marking your work with your full name or business name, nothing worse than finding a new favorite knife and not knowing who the heck made it.

I was thinking of going with "Ben Key"

That's what I was talking about Mark... I would try to be as consistent as possible.

When i went to my first knife show, I had to keep introducing myself with my real name and my forum name. That got old quick...

I went on line and had my user name changed to my real name.

cool 1

I go by SDS on several forums and my knives are marked with "SDS Knifeworks". That's also my website, sdsknifeworks.com. My real name is Shawn Shropshire and I figured SDS would be much easier to remember, pronounce, and search for if anyone ever got interested enough to try to find it online.

All of that and it's just easier to type SDS instead of Shawn Shropshire.

SDS

I think yours works pretty well Shawn, it's nice and constant and you have your full name in your sig.

Easy day! :)

I know everybody who has a funky screen name has some sort of reason for it... but I am 100% in agreement with Les!!!

I have always used my full name on all the forums, so my name is put up there every single time I post something (not always good, lol) But I think it's a huge part of getting your name out, and fast.

Doing quality work is what will get you recognized, but if your name is easily tagged to it, it sure can't hurt!!!

BTW- I'm going to have to talk with Burch since he told me Mr. George's real name was Frederico!!! dancing dog

I've used go mike as a username since like 5th grade ('bout 5 years ago) so whenever I joined forums, I always used go mike. I might request this be changed if I get a stamp for my blades, and then get a website. Like if I get a stamp that says M. Jones and then a website that's like mjonesknives then I'd probably have my forum username be M Jones.

Maybe someone can advise me here.

Some of you guys remind me of a guy I met freshman year in college. "Hi... my name is Stanley Michalski but you can call me Tom." ;)

Back