Trying Something New

nc_cooter

Been trying some new things. A poured pewter ferrule on the knife. A deer rawhide covered sheath with bead work. With my old eyes and fingers, the sheath took some time to complete. The bead work could be better, but for a first try, I am a bit proud of it. It was kind of tough working the beads around the pewter turtle. The blade is forged 1084 and 5"long.
Thanks for looking. All comments are welcome.

Rustic-1.jpg

Rustic-2.jpg

Rustic-3.jpg

Rustic-4.jpg

Mike
Excellent I love it, That is one nice looking knife. I really like how you captured the stag with the pewter. Is that your idea or is that an old trick I just have not seen before.
Chris

I like it very much. The pewter is my favorite part. I've seen some really nice rifle forearms with poured pewter. There just isnt any other way to assemble the complicated designs besides pouring it hot and sanding it smooth. Cool beadwork too.

Very nice work. Have you ever given and thought to do some holsters or some messenger bags?

Thanks everyone.
Chris, keying a pour is an old idea. I have seen crosses, arrow shapes, clover shapes. Many are quite intricate. I decided to keep it simple for the first one.

Bruce, I know what you mean about the pewter. The first time I saw a pewter ferrule, I knew I had to try it. It is a bit time consuming, but I think it's worth it.

Sgt.blade I am going to try some long hunter bags in a few months, but I'll leave the gun leather alone.

Hi Mike Very good for first try on bead work. Beadwork takes a long time even for us experienced in the art. It can (depending on the size of the piece) Take hours just picking all the same size beads before you start. Usually we would create the turtle with the beads. One thing that would make it easier for you is do the beadwork then fasten the turtle on top of the beads. I really like the sheath and the knife. It would fit my Native American regalia very well. Nice work.
Larry

Thanks Larry and James.
Larry, I will take time to sort the beads next time. I didn't realize how much they vary until I started. I purchased my beads from Crazy Crow.

Back